PDA

View Full Version : services high cpu

notechyet
17-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Hello members
I have a virtual machine which worked flawlessly till a day ago.
It still boots fast, though once it has come to the desktop it grinds endlessly. If/when I'm able to open the task manager it shows very high cpu for services and system .:(
I checked all viruses and malware and also HJT. No probs.
A couple of days ago I backed up my OSx onto a usb hdd drive while the network drive was connected.(a WD MyBook,1TB). In the morning after the backup there was some error message on the screen relating to the network drive, though I have forgotten what it said.
Since then its all weird. The machine starts up in safe mode perfectly well.
Does anyone out there have an idea what is happening.
I am hopefull someone might be able to help?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2009, 02:50 PM
It'll work in safe mode properly, because its not loading a lot. And if its playing up when you boot into windows normally, then something is running on startup, thats causing it (which wont run in safe mode)

notechyet
17-10-2009, 03:00 PM
It'll work in safe mode properly, because its not loading a lot. And if its playing up when you boot into windows normally, then something is running on startup, thats causing it (which wont run in safe mode)
So if I disable the comodo firewall, and then try the others one by one I might get it?

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Yup just use ccleaner and disable its startup entry. Then see if its still happening. If its still there, then comodo isnt the prob. Is it the latest version of comodo?

notechyet
17-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Yup just use ccleaner and disable its startup entry. Then see if its still happening. If its still there, then comodo isnt the prob. Is it the latest version of comodo?
I dl Comodo a few weeks ago.
Sometimes it is very frustrating .........:badpc:

notechyet
18-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I might have to check if it is malware.
Which site provides those links to anty malware images you can test with/against?

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2009, 09:12 AM
You dont have to go to any site. Just do a search in google for the strange files that are running. Or disable system restore then scan it with something. Or its just something a VM does

notechyet
18-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Speedy
To give an update, just in case anyone else comes stuck on it.
I took me some long hours.
It was the Com+ which was corrupted and I did discover that in the Event Viewer.
From reading on all sorts of pages and not last on this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315296) site gave me a hint so I did as instructed by deleting the suggested files.
Afterward I did reinstall XP SP3 from safe mode. So, at the mo all seems to go smoothly.