PDA

View Full Version : a nice linux

newbee
15-10-2009, 11:15 PM
have got a old laptop with a corrupt xp pro that wont work and have not got
a reinstall disk or recovery disk with it (son stuffed it, so its my toy to play with now)
specs are 1.2ghz with 512 ram
am looking at trying linux on it but which one as there is so may veryints
would like to find one that is simaler to windows (i know linux is linux and windows is windows but surly there has to be one similar)and not to much of a learning curve

any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated

Blam
15-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Try Mint. Simple and easy to use

KarameaDave
15-10-2009, 11:39 PM
PClinuxOS is rather 'Windowsy'.
What are you hoping to do with it?
If you just need basic functions (internet, email, word processing)
then Puppy Linux is small, fast and I have found it to be reliable.

razzarphenix
15-10-2009, 11:44 PM
given the specs of the pc I would go for xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/). All of the support of regular ubuntu but not so resource hungry. If you try xubuntu and its still a little sluggish then try masonux which is dervied from ubuntu and uses lxde for a GUI which is very lightweight (http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/screenshots).

Chilling_Silence
16-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Im going to say +1 for Mint, due to it's low learning curve as most things are configured right out of the box to just work :)

Linux Mint 7 (Gloria) is the current edition, but within the next 6 weeks they should be shipping a *much* improved Linux Mint 8!

newbee
16-10-2009, 08:21 PM
What am i hoping to do with it (internet, email, word processing and maybe some basic games etc) and also to dip my toe into linux
i also have a top spec laptop so i don't matter if it don't work first time
just curious what linux is like and might as well make use of my new paper weight
i have tried windows 7 on it but that is only the test one so it wont last forever

Blam
16-10-2009, 08:23 PM
What am i hoping to do with it (internet, email, word processing and maybe some basic games etc) and also to dip my toe into linux
i also have a top spec laptop so i don't matter if it don't work first time
just curious what linux is like and might as well make use of my new paper weight
i have tried windows 7 on it but that is only the test one so it wont last forever

Linux Mint should be fine for that stuff. There are also lighter distrubutions, such as DSL, Puppy Linux etc

Arch is also quite simple to use and has a different window manager altogether.

Blam

Sweep
16-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Yep. Install any version of Linux and then do your best to make it look like any version of windows.

Much like some want to turn WinXP into looking like Vista or Win7.

Nothing wrong with checking out Linux anyway.

KarameaDave
16-10-2009, 08:40 PM
If you are wishing to play any Windows games on your Linux machine,
you will need a Linux that supports Wine, Cedega or Crossover Games.
These utilities allow Windows applications to run on Linux, although as they say
your mileage may vary (they may not support all Windows Apps and the ones they do may only have limited capabilities) Wine is free but the other two cost money.
Of course there are many good Linux games as well.
If you don't have much experience with Linux then Ubuntu or its derivatives (Mint, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Studio and others) offer an excellent community based support system. I use PClinuxOS as well as Windows Vista & Win7 and find it OK.
Puppy Linux while a little bit of a learning curve for some, is efficient and fast.

mikebartnz
17-10-2009, 12:50 AM
PCLinuxOS2009 will work well with what you have.

micky
17-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Just go here and take your pick http://distrowatch.com/