PDA

View Full Version : Can iPods play mp3s? Or does everything have to be converted to aac

Kindel
15-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Silly looking question at first glance, but a lot of people haven't been able to give me an answer to this; using a third party app to transfer files (to hell with itunes, I should be able to drag and drop), does the ipod still do any weird encoding of mp3s?

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Dont know about drop and drag it doesnt work that way. You can use winamp or mediamonkey, or songbird, I think it is supports Ipods. Most should should be able to import as aac, mp3, or maybe AIFF, and WAV

Blam
15-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Silly looking question at first glance, but a lot of people haven't been able to give me an answer to this; using a third party app to transfer files (to hell with itunes, I should be able to drag and drop), does the ipod still do any weird encoding of mp3s?

No.

plod
15-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Doubletwist (http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt), haven't used it myself but looks good. from dvd john.
The link is for the mac version, link to pc version is on that page

Kindel
15-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Alright so itunes (or any other software) doesn't convert to m4a or aac or anything on the fly?

Btw that's the question I'm asking, not anything to do with drag and drop really. Sorry if the OP was confusing, I can't edit it though,

plod
15-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Alright so itunes (or any other software) doesn't convert to m4a or aac or anything on the fly?

Btw that's the question I'm asking, not anything to do with drag and drop really. Sorry if the OP was confusing, I can't edit it though,

No. ipod will play aac or mp3 no conversion needed.

Chilling_Silence
16-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Depending on your settings it may try and re-encode if its say a 320kbps MP3.

Dragging and dropping through My Computer will never change any file format, however files transferred to your iPod that way aren't playable, as they need iTunes or WinAmp for example to pop them into the Media Library on the device :)

Kindel
16-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Depending on your settings it may try and re-encode if its say a 320kbps MP3.

Dragging and dropping through My Computer will never change any file format, however files transferred to your iPod that way aren't playable, as they need iTunes or WinAmp for example to pop them into the Media Library on the device :)

Well there appears to be software such as Floola which supports drag n drop, an associate tells me.

It's possible to disable this re-encoding behaviour though, from the sound of your first statement?

Chilling_Silence
17-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes, but it only takes effect IN iTunes. If you're copy / pasting through My Computer, as mentioned, it will *never* change the format.

Floola is just an iTunes replacement, don't waste your time with it personally ...

Neil McC
17-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Find this pretty good. Never use iTunes if I can help it!
http://www.imtoo.com/ipod-computer-transfer.html

Discordia
18-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Hello Kindel. I'm no expert, but have seen pretty amazing things done with these little gadgets. Depending on how far you wish to delve, and which manager you use, you can pretty much get an iPod to play/store just about anything.

For example, if you wanted to ditch iTunes all together, you could start with "self-sustaining iPod" as your search, and start from there. If this sparks your interest, you will soon find almost limitless uses for your iPod. Good luck and have fun

Thebananamonkey
18-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't know what issue you guys have with iTunes.

I use it for almost all of my music. I've got all of my music in Apple Lossless running into my stereo and couldn't be much happier.

Battleneter2
18-11-2009, 09:28 AM
On my Ipod touch 2nd Gen I can used I-Funbox to drag MP3's straight to the device, never had a problem (Iphones also ok)

I am fuzzy on other Ipods, i believe later Generation of nano's etc can play Mp3 dumped to the device fine, hence you are getting different opinions.

SolMiester
18-11-2009, 11:23 AM

AFAIK YES....had a friend with wma files, but wanted to use them with iTunes, we converted all the mp3 so iTunes wouldnt double the files!

zqwerty
18-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Quickly Add Media to iTunes When Itís Not Running:

http://cybernetnews.com/quickly-add-media-to-itunes-when-its-not-running/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CyberNet+%28CyberNet+News%29