PDA

View Full Version : Dual screens - different sizes.

SolMiester
14-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi all, i need to purchase a lappy with docking station and will also get a big to go with it.

Now the idea is when out and about the lappy will be okay and we dont want a high res on it as the text pitch will be too small to read;ie: 19x10 on a 5.4"laptop screen. When back in the docking station, the big LCD screen will kick in, however, as its bigger we will have a higher res, probably 16x10 on 22"screen as I find 19x10 is only ok on 26+ screen.

The question is, can a cloned screen be different sizes?, i cant recall ever having that type of setup.
The lappy will probably be 12x8 and we will wont it cloned to 16x10, is that possible?

wratterus
14-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Cloned - don't think so. Max you'd be able to run in clone mode would be 1280*800 (or whatever the lappy does). It's not hard to switch the external monitor to primary though and run it at the chosen resolution, would that work?

I know a few people who use a lappy as is out of the office, then use it like a desktop in the office (USB mouse and keyboard, and 22" or 24" monitor.) Just set the lappy to do nothing when the screen is closed and it'll sit happily infront of the monitor. Ultramon is great software for controlling dual screens over and above what windows can do.

If you're buying new equipment get a lappy with HDMI out and a 1080p monitor will HDMI in, it'll work like a charm.

SolMiester
14-10-2009, 04:53 PM
dont think the HP6730b comes with hdmi, besides which FD is too small a pitch for 24 IMO, which is probably the biggest LCD screen they will get...the other alternative is to use extended screen accross both but that means using both monitors when docked!!
I wonder if there is a setting to ignore the laptop lcd when docked and just use the external at native?

Blam
14-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I wonder if there is a setting to ignore the laptop lcd when docked and just use the external at native?

If you output the video to the external monitor only, then yea