PDA

View Full Version : photo in windows live mail contacts

effie c
14-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi,
I am very slowly getting my settings as I want them---BUT
when I try to enter a photo in place of the Atava now showing I cannot insert it- a mate tells me using Vista that on hovering over the little window he gets a choice to place the photo--I am using XP Pro and have no choice

PLUS

All windows live appears now to work---except when I get to open an incoming picture I get
"Windows cannot access the specified device,path,or file--you may not have the proper permissions to access them "
Should I uninstall Windows Live Mail and reinstall ?

effie c

wainuitech
14-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Try this for the attachments, click on tools /Saftey Options / Security Tab - untick " do not allow attachments to be saved or opened --- Shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture1255476270.png)

IF you dont have the menu bar activated, click as shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Saftey.PNG) - Highlighted area top right. You can either select saftey options from there, or show the menu bar.

effie c
14-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi wainui

Tried that - no difference
I need two assists
Why I cannot open a blue tinted site /attachment/whatever-"because I do not have permission" should I re install - or is it a pooter setting?
TWO
I cannot get a photo to replace Avatar in Windows live mail

effie c

wainuitech
14-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Hmmm-- been looking into the photos for teh contacts - found this reply on another forum :
display pictures for your Live ID contacts reside on the Live Servers for each Live ID contact, thus usage for any contact
would not be an issue. The contact is the only person capable of changing the picture.
WLM/WLMsgr do not have an option to add pictures to your contacts

In plain english its saying you have to have live messenger.

The person who's name it is, is the only one who can supply a picture or change the picture.

You can try reinstalling Live mail, but I dont think thats the problem.

By any chance are you signed in on a limited account ??

Also found it can be caused by some of MS's security updates.
Can you please explain what is meant by "blue tinted site" ????

effie c
14-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi,
Two things

when I click "open contacts" on an incoming E mail with an internet address to be opened ( coloured blue),which would show me what to do-(this e mail came in from my mate)-

I click on it and I get a "boing" then the above comment (in first post) -shows on the 'pooter in a window on the monitor

second I want to put my photo into contacts exactly as your insert says- not other people,-- that I can accept--just mine
again I get this "boing" and then no further progress can be made
effie c

wainuitech
14-10-2009, 04:19 PM
OK got the picture sorted - you have to have your email account registered with windows live. OR have a windows live address.

If its not, go to Windows live (https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=11&ct=1255488828&rver=5.5.4177.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fhome.live.com%2F%3Flc%3D5129&lc=1033&id=251248&bk=1255488829&rollrs=12&lic=1) and create the account - you can use your own ISP 's address.

Once you have the account signed up, open windows live mail - top right click on sign in - once signed in, click again, but select "view Your profile" Once the browser opens, there will be the large Icon near the top left, click that - select change picture Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Signin.PNG) - browse your PC to the picture you want. Select it and once uploaded / save.

Open your email / contacts and the picture will update - mines a bit slow today, took around 10 minutes to update.

effie c
14-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi,

All that you advised,I did,and found I was already signed in to hotmail as well as my daily account
Thanks for that work you have done anyway
No matter what, even after redoing in the following of your orders- I cannot get that large Avatar sample top left that you sent
all I do get is "send email " etc etc

BUT that Icon does not carry the floatingcursor to produce "change photo etc

Damned if I know why

I wil persevere tonight and tomorrow and be in touch after
Thank you again

effie c

wainuitech
15-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Do you have live messenger installed ?

I just tried live mail on an XP Pro PC, and while I could go in and alter the avatar as I described earlier, I couldn't get it to show until Live messenger was installed.

effie c
15-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi wainui

That is what I have just found out
the only problem I have now--I did a system restore back to before this started-and promptly lost all my unread e mails
--went forward- nothing
In my elderly mind I should not have lost them at all on a restore
Very embarressing - thought I really was losing it--until smithie38 told me on Skype just now that in fact I should not lose them-- what happened- I don't know
No wonder some people lose their paddy over pooters
Thanks again
;-((
effie c

wainuitech
15-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Thats correct - when doing a system restore you shouldn't lose any documents, Mails, Pictures etc.
The main items that change are the system files, and any programs that have been installed prior to the restore.