PDA

View Full Version : Vodem

jcr1
14-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Anyone who has tried one of Vodafones prepay "vodems", got any thoughts on it?
It seems to me it could be the perfect accompanient to my 701 Eeepc.

wratterus
14-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I hate them with every fiber of my being. The software is heavy and buggy, the cards are prone to failure and easy to damage, and (around here) the reception is utter ****.

Now the Telecom cards, on the other hand...

The software is light and functional. The cards are robust, I've never seen one crap out yet. The reception and speeds (around here) are amazing. Did a speedtest to Auckland yesterday with the cheap Telecom XT card, 4.5Mbps down 1.4Mbps up. Vodafone wouldn't even connect.

Just my :2cents: I'm sure they are fine in larger cities. :p

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2009, 08:48 AM
With the Vodem you can chuck in a Prepay card and sign up for the $10 BBLite AddOn which gives you 100MB a month.

Guarantee you'll fly through 100MB in a day or two with even just minimal browsing unless you disable Flash and Windows Updates etc ;)

You can pickup a Vodem for $50-ish on TradeMe at times too

inphinity
14-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Vodems are fine if you have good signal in a 3G area. Not as fast as telecom XT's, but the same as the previous gen Telecom ones. We have one of each and both get about 1.5mbps down 500kbps up. The Vodem seems a bit more prone to issues with unplugging / reconnecting, whereas the Watcher software from Telecom (which is actually from Sierra Wireless) is.. not exactly flash imo - we've found once you connect with it, theres about a 25% chance the software will hang and, while your connection will still work, you won't be able to disconnect etc without just pulling the stick out.

In the end, I'd probably go Telecom XT now - faster, and the newer software seems great. But they don't seem to offer prepay or non-contract terms, so Vodafone would be a fine alternative if you're in a good signal area and / or less bothered about speed.

Grimy
08-11-2009, 09:11 AM
There is the $99 vodem, which I guess is the original, and also a newer vodem -$199?-I guess the more expensive one is better/faster/more reliable, or am I just being hopeful?
I'm after something for my laptop when I'm away from home for checking emails and doing a little browsing, so only want prepay. Has anyone used the newer version, and if so, is it worth the extra money for occasional use?

Chilling_Silence
08-11-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-broadband/choose-a-device.jsp

Supports faster upload. Long story short I wouldn't bother, the cheaper one will generally suffice :)