PDA

View Full Version : New harddrive

Myth
13-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Am looking to future proof somewhat and get a 1TB drive.
Must be Seagate.

Who has the best price and is reasonable in case of RMA's? I usually use Ascent, but I know they can be on the bit expensive side.

Blam
13-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Ascent. They're not much more than other retailers.

Phil B
13-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Funny how everyone raves about Ascent. Do they sponsor this forum.
They're probably very good. But why would you want to deal with a shop outside your own local area. Makes warranty issues that much harder to resolve

Nomad
13-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Computer Lounge is also good. In terms of RMA, they ask you to send it in after an email. Send it courier tracked and signed. They tend send you the replacement on the day they receive your broken package. You then get it a night after that.

qazwsxokmijn
13-10-2009, 10:00 PM
They're probably very good. But why would you want to deal with a shop outside your own local area. Makes warranty issues that much harder to resolve
Not really.....you just pay for postage to have the item(s) sent back. Good stores like Playtech, CL, Ascent will do warranty quickly usually. My warranty experience with Playtech was excellent. Had a replacement RAM within days.

beeswax34
14-10-2009, 12:41 AM
PB Tech is good too

gary67
14-10-2009, 05:40 AM

Mainly due to the fact I work 7.30 to 5 so can't get to any of the local shops and places such as Ascent are open 24/7 I get what I buy usually in 2 days and if I need to RMA it still takes less than a week. So far Ascent and computer lounge have both given me exceptional service.

Cato
14-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Hard drives are supposedly extremely fragile, aren't they?

Is curriering them to and from actually safe? I've seen tonnes of packages marked "fragile" getting bent and broken anyway, is that a risk you guys are willing to take?
Or is that a much of nonsense?

Phil B
14-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Fair enough. My preference is to walk into the shop with the alleged dodgy component & wait until they've tested it before my very eyes. If they don't, then they won't see me in their shop again. There's one shop I use regularly & if I go there with a suspect component, they whip it out of my hands & test it on the spot. Good thing about electronic goods is that they are normally very reliable & there's no issues anyway. Just don't buy on price alone. Google & read reviews before parting with your hard earned
I have just ordered a tool from the states. The main reason is price. Here in good old NZ it sells for between $300 & 600. I'm getting it landed here for less that $180. Warranty wise, it's a gamble

jcr1
14-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Myth, just a suggestion, next time you're in New Plymouth, see what Modster can do for you.
You might already know, but they're in the Top Town building.
No harm in checking it out and the guys like a good "chinwag".

pctek
14-10-2009, 07:00 AM
But why would you want to deal with a shop outside your own local area. Makes warranty issues that much harder to resolve

Because they have a good reputation and warranty issues are NOT a problem with them.
Them and a few others - however the question also involved cost........

Myth
14-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Computer Lounge is also good. In terms of RMA, they ask you to send it in after an email. Send it courier tracked and signed. They tend send you the replacement on the day they receive your broken package. You then get it a night after that.Ah yes forgot about CL. Have dealt with them in the past and quite liked the service I received. This will be where I go I think :)

PB Tech is good tooJust checked their prices out, a bit more expensive than Ascent for same product :(

Hard drives are supposedly extremely fragile, aren't they?

Is curriering them to and from actually safe? I've seen tonnes of packages marked "fragile" getting bent and broken anyway, is that a risk you guys are willing to take?
Or is that a much of nonsense?So far I have bought about 3 or 4 harddrives online. None have been damaged, all are now over a year or so old. They are fairly well packaged as well.

Myth, just a suggestion, next time you're in New Plymouth, see what Modster can do for you.
You might already know, but they're in the Top Town building.
No harm in checking it out and the guys like a good "chinwag".Just checked their prices online. Uhhhh, no. Unless their instore prices are considerably cheaper. Will ring them probably Friday