PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 5.5

20-07-2001, 12:46 PM
When i launch IE5.5 Instead of my home page it defaults to 'mirablis.com' which is some sort of temp file and the then the 'cant't fond site' page appears
I have checked my settings and xtra.msn is set as my homepage and appears when I click on Home in top toolbar
I also cleared my history to try and get rid of this
My kids had ICQ loaded but I have uninstalled this and yet this keeps happening
Any suggestions?

20-07-2001, 10:04 PM
TIP...the hijacking of one's home page can be an annoying event - even when the action is carried out in an innocent or benign manner by the Browser or even your own ISP, for example.

Usually, resetting it is a simple procedure using the Home Page Function on your Browser's General tab off the Tools Bar.

Unfortunately there are also times when it is difficult to dislogdge the 'intruder' and an editing of the Registry is required.

Here is a simple and effective workaround courtesy of Fred Langa which will restore the Home Page to 'Blank' in Internet Explorer 5x, as follows:

(i) create a new text document (say, on your desktop for example) and open it [right click on screen > click New > select 'Text Document'].

(ii) after opening the new document enter the following wording *exactly* as written below (suggest you use your browser's copy & paste function):

----> copy & paste BELOW this line <----

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
'Start Page'='about:blank'

----> copy & paste ABOVE this line <----

(iii) click on 'File' > then 'Save' > then close.

(iv) rename the file to 'ie_home_page.reg' (sans quotes and removing the original '.txt' extension)

(v) right click on the new file and click 'Merge' (this will safely return your Home Page setting to 'Blank').

(vii) Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > General tab. Enter the home page' URL of your choice in the Address window setting (or leave it as 'Blank') and then click Apply/Okay.

Done.

NOTE: you may save this small file to use again when/as required.

Fred Langa's Home Page is at:

http://www.langa.com/

e_

20-07-2001, 11:47 PM
...in addition, if one wishes to apply the golden rule that 'prevention is the best cure' - the following page over at Winguides.com gives a simple explanation as to how a user may prevent their Home Page from being hijacked:

http://forums.winguides.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=secwin&Number=18003&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&part=

Happy surfing!!!

e_