PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Compatibility

SmurfWorks
13-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm Smurf, New guy that's here to ask some help of you. So I've been on a mission for a little bit to get my computer upgraded for both work and entertainment purposes. I'm an aspiring web Developer so it's vital that I get my computer running smoothly. For the most part, my computer is optimum for web development, except when it comes to flash. Now, I've installed xp myself when I got this computer - so it's not cluttered with useless software and files, and is guarded by NOD32 and Spybot S&D (With Teatimer) so it's not a software issue.

So I looked into it perhaps being the video memory, running on standard onboard, so I went out and researched cards. Turns out, I need 1 single x16 slot on my motherboard for the card (Which I have) and a 500w psu and 1gb of ram. So I went out and upgraded my ol' 300 Watt psu to a 700w OCZ StealthXtreme. It's pretty quiet and I've seen a performance increase from it already. But still not enough.

Now my video card arrived recently, it's an XFX HD4870 1GB, which is the one that has the requirements above. Now the card itself says it requires a single x16 slot, which my mobo has, but it also says it supports PCI-E 2.0, which I do not have. Now I hooked it all in, and plugged in Both PCI-E power connectors, but the system did not post at all. I've already checked the bios to make sure it's graphics priority is PCI-E and it is, so I'm slowly running out of ideas. I think it might be the card, which I'll test later this week [Because i'm not gonna be paying $20 to a computer shop for something so simple]

But I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it could be - I've reseated my Ram and ordered a 4GB upgrade (from my 1GB) so it'll be more than enough.

I'm wondering if anyone might know what I'm doing wrong. I've spoken to a computer tech who says it doesn't make much sense. So yeah, Thanks in advance - I'm really puzzled, all I can think of is my PCI-E being incorrect.

Current specs:
PSU: OCZ 700w StealthXtreme
Mobo: ASUS P5VD2-VM SE
Processor: IntelŪ PentiumŪ D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Ram: 2x512mb [Until tomorrow]
GFX: XFX ATI HD4870 1GB

Thanks again.

qazwsxokmijn
13-10-2009, 06:31 PM
So the PC turns on at least? Anything displayed on the monitor?

SmurfWorks
13-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey, no, when the card's inserted the fans activate, but there is no signal from any video output, and the speaker on the motherboard doesn't beep.

Blam
13-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I reckon the card is faulty.

WarNox
13-10-2009, 08:22 PM
If you boot the computer with the graphic card plugged in, but plug the monitor into the onboard vga plug, does anything show up on the screen? In the bios, can you see the motherboard pick up the hd4870?

All seems to be compatible, so either the motherboard has a faulty slot or the gpu is faulty.

Trev
13-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Have you turned off the onboard graphic card in the bios.
:)

Blam
13-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I've already checked the bios to make sure it's graphics priority is PCI-E and it is, so I'm slowly running out of ideas.

:)

pctek
13-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Spybot S&D (With Teatimer)

system did not post at all. I've already checked the bios

[Because i'm not gonna be paying $20 to a computer shop for something so simple]

But I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it could be - I've reseated my Ram .

Turn off Teatimer. It is useless.

So, no problem until you plug the card in.
Then its the card.

SmurfWorks
13-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I just updated my bios, but alas, no luck. I'm going to test the card this Friday. And just to help you guys with those questions, no signal on either output (onboard & pci-e) when the card is inserted. It's $20 to get the card tested at a computer shop, so I'm going to have to wait for my mate to bring his gaming beast around.

:thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Check out the forum (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5VD2-VM+SE&SLanguage=en-us). Like this post (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080528140810468&board_id=1&model=P5VD2-VM+SE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us). There's a few people having probs with PCI-E cards. By the looks of it its got compat probs with some Nvidia and ATI cards. Because of the VIA chipset. I would get a better mobo. So, save the $20. Youre better off reading about people who actually use the mobo (who have the same prob)

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 11:14 PM
It'll probably work in anything else / whatever you plug it into, if it doesnt use the VIA chipset

SmurfWorks
13-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for that. I went over to the support forum and it sounds like a compatibility issue with the video card and the onboard VIA. I'm currently running the official latest release of this models BIOS, but there is another one over there released to people with problems with the motherboard. Just waiting for an answer from them on what it actually will fix.

Narrowed it down to either a faulty card or compatibility issues. If it's compatibility issues, then I hope Asus can help me out - seriously am not in the position to fork out cash for new mobo, cpu and ram. Unless anyone knows of a mobo with PCI-E 2.0 and PC2-5300 Ram+Pentium D (Dual) capabilities?

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 11:44 PM
The only thing you'll have to change, is the mobo. There are other socket 775 mobos around. That take Pentium D CPU's (its probably 775 pin as well). The only thing you MAY have to change is the ram (which is pretty cheap anyway). Depending on what kind of ram the mobo takes. But you may have to do a clean install

SmurfWorks
14-10-2009, 12:10 AM
So I'm guessing that means formatting my Hard disc, Planned on getting Windows 7 anyway. But yeah, thanks for your help. I just have to start researching Motherboards now. Just when I thought I had my upgrades sorted, I get bitten from behind by this.

Had a quick investigate on TM, and taking a stab in the dark with the knowledge I have of compatibility, this is hopefully suitable:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Motherboards/Intel/auction-247299027.htm

Please tell me if I'm missing a compatibility issue here - I can't find one. (I already expect an obvious error with my selection)

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2009, 12:31 AM
First, it helps if you KNOW what youre looking for. ie: What do you want the mobo to have on it? ie: SATA/ amount of USB ports / firewire, etc. You can buy a mobo brand new, less than that. That mobo has DVI / HDMI and VGA onboard, so you probably wouldnt need a separate videocard. Do you want onboard video, or a separate videocard? Also, since you're planning on installing Windows 7, check and make sure there are drivers for windows 7 on the mobo maker's site (Vista drivers may or may not work). And everything else (like printers etc). Before you purchase them. Because if there are no drivers at all, nothing will work. Another thing to take into account. WHAT are you going to use it for?

SmurfWorks
14-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Obviously, I'm still to test it in another computer, but in all honesty, I really want one where I don't have to buy anything else, even if it was EXACTLY the same as my P5VD2-VM-SE without a VIA chipset and with PCI-E 2.0.

I know that there's no chance of that being real, so I'll just tell you what I'm going to be using it for an such and maybe you'll be able to help me choose one. I'll be using it for web development [The Ram upgrade has shown better results already but one more step would be better] and also for gaming, I did have a 360 but not anymore so I wouldn't mind playing a few titles coming out [Modern warfare 2] so that's why I bought my video card. I have a mATX case, so it would have to be that form factor - Support my Pentium D Dual Processor, PC2-5300 RAM. I have a 250GB SATA HDD (I don't know any more about this), an Asus DVD-RW w/Lightscribe, a 3 speed antec fan hooked into it. The PSU has the mobo plug, and two cpu plugs, 2 PCI-E connectors, 6 sata connectors. I don't know what other information to give you, except I wanna be able to put the XFX HD4870 1GB on it too. The cpu is dual core, and 32bit (X86 is the correct term I think)

I don't know what other information to give you guys, except that I have this stuff and wanna put that card on. I can buy more ram if I need to, but I really do not want to.

Thanks guys, sorry to act like I don't know anything, but it is all new to me.

WarNox
14-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Well I think the motherboard I have will work with everything you require and it's worked flawlessly for me :)

It's a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5. Not sure of the prices now but I paid about $300 I think and so far its been great (fingers crossed).

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2766&ProductName=GA-X48-DS5

SmurfWorks
14-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey dude, I investigated that almost immediately, and found there was none on trademe, and the only one on pricespy was $480. I might give that one a miss, although it does look good. Thanks anyway, much appreciated.

Ok guys, just a quick question, as it's the last thing I can do before testing the card on another computer, can I disable my onboard safely? Because I don't know if this is going to fix my video card problem, I don't want to turn off my onboard, to find out I can't turn it back on, and would it stop conflict between the VIA chipset and ATI card? :badpc:

SmurfWorks
14-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Gah, I just researched it, and there's no sign of a jumper available, and the bios only has priority settings, not disabling settings. And it's fully updated too. Back to finding a motherboard.

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2009, 11:07 PM
The onboard video card isnt the prob, its the chipset that that mobo uses.

So, it wouldnt matter if you disable it (installing another card would / should disable it anyway). Or not it probably wont fix the prob youre having

That card you've got should be fine in any other socket 775 mobo. Just dont get or use a mobo that uses a via chipset. The ram will also work in another mobo (as long as it supports DDR2 667 ram)

SmurfWorks
15-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Ok after taking into account all of the needed factors from my post above, I've chosen to get one of these:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2889&ProductName=GA-G31M-ES2L

This is Windows 7 compatible, LGA775, fits 667 RAM, PCI-E 2.0, NON VIA, fits my DVD-RW Drive and my Sata Drive. My power supply would fit this more than optimally, and is mATX to suit my case. Have I got it right with this one guys? I'm looking at paying $124NZD with shipping and GST - is this what I'm after?

Once again guys, Thanks a lot, it's beyond appreciated how much you guys have guided me so far. :)

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Looks good, but you did notice its got onboard video right? Thats if youre planning on using the other viideocard. It'll probably still work tho...

SmurfWorks
15-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I tried to find a chipset other than VIA so that the onboard wouldn't conflict. Do you think that VIA does that on purpose so that people will buy S3 cards? - not that i've seen anything S3 in the way of graphics cards around today anyway.

I've just revised that motherboard a bit today, and it doesn't actually have PCI-E 2.0, it's the just the same colour port. Shows how much I've learnt recently :P

So now I'm looking at something within the same price bracket that will allow me to go to 8GB RAM in the future, and Does support PCI-E 2.0. Once again meeting the rest of the requirements, but has onboard graphics, I've not seen a motherboard supporting PCI-E 2.0 that doesn't have onboard at all? So this should be ok for installing a new Graphics card.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000411

So same thing, with PCI-E 2.0 and 8GB Ram support.

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2009, 12:36 PM
The ASUS P5Q Pro / P5Q SE / SE Plus / SE2 / SE/R are socket 775 and none of them have onboard video. And all support up to 16 GB. The only 2 P5Q mobos that have DVI / HDMI and VGA, are the P5Q-EM and P5QL-EM. Both of these are also PCI-E 2, (The PQ5-EM supports up to 16 GB, the P5QL-EM 8 GB)

The cheapest out of the above (well down the road anyway), the P5Q Pro $170 (ATX) or the P5Q SE2 (171 - ATX)