PDA

View Full Version : Video card for high resolutions please

20-07-2001, 11:46 AM
My system has a PIII 1gHz CPU in an i815e motherboard, 256mb PC133 SDRAM, Nvidia Geforce 2 MX AGP with 32mb SDRAM. It is connected to a Viewsonic P810 21' monitor.

From day one, I was not happy with the 2D performance of this video card, ie running at 1280x1024 text was decidedly 'fuzzy'. Unfortunately the 3D performance was not up to my expectations either. One of my favourite games, European Air War from Microprose would not run properly, (The mission maps and briefing screens were corrupted to the extent that it affected the whole system after quitting the game!). My next favourite, Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2, ran quite well in most respects, except that often, particularily after 'bailing out' the system would give three beeps and the screen would go black, necessitating a 'reset'. Dropping the screen resolution did little to fix this problem either, and the picture quality deteriated quite badly as well (lots of colour banding in the sky etc).

The upshot of all this is, can anyone recommend a video card that will give me high quality 2D and 3D performance running at 1280x1024 in 32 bit true colour? (Hopefully one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

20-07-2001, 11:57 AM
GeForce 2 with 64 Meg.

Have you tried an update of the Gfx driver?

There are profesonal cards out there, but you want you arms and legs...

Ken.

20-07-2001, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the speedy response. Yes I updated to the latest Nvidia driver, which increased the frame rates quite significantly, but unfortunately didn't fix anything else. I know that Matrox cards give excellent 2D performance because I had one in my old PC. Matrox 3D is not very good especially when there are clouds or smoke about! (Frame rates in CFS2 would drop to unplayable levels in these instances).

Maybe there is a card out there which only costs an arm!

20-07-2001, 02:44 PM
1280*1024 is a big ask, same as is 32 bit colour.
Have you tried any tweaks?
What are you running the games in, D3D or OpenGL?

Ken.

20-07-2001, 04:10 PM
D3D.
Anyone had experience with ATI cards such as their RADEON series?

20-07-2001, 09:17 PM
hi Bill,
are you sure the card is at fault? I suggest you try a different monitor to be sure. I have a GF2 MX 32MB on a 21' sony trinitron at that resolution (at 85Hz) and it looks mind bogglingly sharp and steady. If it is the card at fault, which brand did you buy so I can avoid it??

20-07-2001, 10:15 PM
Bill one card that springs to mind is the ATI all in wonder radeon, its a very nice performing card although a little pricey at around $900.
Still your system specs are very good and that geforce should be giving you good performance.

22-07-2001, 07:57 AM
Hi Bill
Nice rig ,wish I had a 21' monitor,anyway your video card is quite a good one but a bit of a miss match for the rest of the system [must be oem system].Some brands of Geforce 2 cards are known to have a fuzzy 2d problem at the higher resolutions,I can send you some info on that if you give me your email address,It,s basicly an RF filter problem,which you can fix,It,s a bit tricky,I have done it on two cards so far and it works very well.
You may not want to modify your card though,of course if it,s oem and still under warranty tell them to sort it out ,if not I suggest getting a good brand of Geforce2 ultra or a Geforce 3 with 64m of DDR ram
they should be able to drive that 21' monster!
I have an idea about Microsofts flight simulator2 game crashing out too.You may have to change some bios settings ,go into the bios and have a look at chipset features setup or something like that and make sure system bios cacheable and video bios cacheable and video ram cachheable are not enabled,they will cause games to crash, also make sure agp aperture size is set to 256m if your m\b has it.
I know you updated the drivers for the video card,don,t forget to update the agp drivers too!

Hope I,ve helped.

22-07-2001, 02:25 PM
Thank you Boris. The Monitor I have had for several years now. I need it for my work (AutoCAD), and it has done several PC upgrades so far and is still going fine.

I may try some of this. I have seen the web site that gives the info on bypassing the RF filters, but I am not an electronics technition so won't be doing this! I have found another setting on my monitor that changes the video level. I changed this from 0.7/1.0v to 1.0v and the text sharpened up quite considerably, even though it also darkened the whole screen up to the extent that brightness and contrast are nearly at the end of the scale.
Maximum AGP aperture size in BIOS is 64 as far as I can see.
MSCFS2 only crashes when it is changing from an action screen to a 'debriefing' 2d screen which actually runs at a different resolution.
I may have a look at GF3 cards when they become more readily available and the prices have dropped a little. 'Tom's Harware' web site have done a few tests on these and they look to perform much better at higher resolutions than GF2 cards.

Thanks again.

22-07-2001, 02:26 PM
small correction- rule of thumb for setting agp aperture is half ram size.

any chance of a web address we could download that info about the rf prob?