View Full Version : Whats this connection called?

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Attached file: connection.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/connection.jpg) (110 KB) The one of the left is the one I'll be getting. This is for a firewire connection on a front panel PCB for a case. The cutout is on the PCB, just have to solder that connection <- and the socket below onto it

This is the other 1/2 of it (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4ad30f9f01668b442740c0a87f3b06ec/Product/View/P2714)

13-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Do you know the connector pitch? - it'll be something like 0.1", 1.5mm, or 2mm, probably - it's not clear from your photo (well, actually, nothing's that clear on the photo ;))

You could try www.molex.com or www.tycoelectronics.com to try & find the same socket/receptacle & then look for the matching plug.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Well its where it is on this desk. The reflection (and coz it was taken last night), why its not clear. Nope dont know what the pitch or whatever is. I know what the matching plug is, and what it looks like (Ive got one here) the other end of the cable, is the firewire connection that connects to a mobo firewire header. But the pic I posted from the left its 6 pins (firewire), 8 pins (USB), 9 pins audio. If you take the front of a case off, (altho not all cases have this kind of connection), and look at the audio/mic inputs, you'll see what I'm talking about

13-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Sorry - I misunderstood what your original question was driving at. I thought you were looking for a plug to fit that socket in the photo so you could make a cable to go from there to the mobo. I guessed that was a PCB for the front panel of the case - I assume there's Firewire connectors (+audio, USB, whatever) on the other side of the board?

So - what exactly are you asking for? The Firewire data pinout for that 6-way connector?

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 09:38 AM
The PCB I posted isnt the PCB thats in the case. Its another PCB. I could use this, BUT the connections on it, are in the wrong place (for the case).

The connector (6 pin,) is what I'm asking about (asking what is it called). And the other pic I posted is the firewire connector that I'll be getting

Yup thats right the PCB I posted, has the connections on it (headphone/mic/2 USB and firewire). Pic below. This maybe a better pic of the connector

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 10:04 AM
This is the cable that plugs into the connector I'm asking about

The black connector, connects to the mobo header (if the mobo has firewire onboard)

13-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the 6-way connector would be specific to the case manufacturer, unless they follow the standard FireWire numbering on your external 6-pin socket. There's no real reason why it would have to be the same as any other manufacturer, except that a similar engineering solution would be likely, given the standard mobo header & the standard FireWire socket

You haven't said what you're trying to achieve by knowing the name of the connector. Are you simply tring to find a way of getting from your mobo header to the PCB mount FireWire socket you referred to earlier?

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 05:31 PM
As I said the connector is so I can solder it to the PCB in the case (which as Ive also said) isnt the one I posted. You need to solder the 6 pin connector on the PCB, so you can connect the 6 pin cable. So you can connect the other end of that cable the firewire to a mobo header. I need to know the name of it so i can buy it.

13-10-2009, 10:31 PM
This (http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0894000610_PCB_HEADERS.xml&channel=Products&Lang=en-US) is the closest thing I found. A larger photo might help, but you're probably the best judge if you've got the real thing there. There's a link at the bottom-right to jump to the mating connector that sits on the end of the cable. Hopefully the pictures match.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I could make the pic bigger but then it wont be an attachment (it'll be too big). Think I'll take this PCB into someone like DSE. See if they've got any in stock. Or at least tell me what its called. Ta anyway