PDA

View Full Version : The switch to Big Time Part 2 - Initial thoughts now connected

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
So they connected me this afternoon.

I did a few traceroutes / pings prior to switching, then two hours later on Telecom BigTime.

Attached file: ping_tr_1.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ping_tr_1.jpg) (12 KB)

It's actually a .zip so rename it first.

Make of it what you will, but I wanna call them tomorrow and give them some grief over *pings*! They should *not* be managed / throttled ..
Initial pingtest results:
http://www.pingtest.net/result/777406.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/778161.png

Fail Telecom!

Note: tcd = Telecom Daytime, I'll do some more at like 7AM tomorrow prior to when the traffic management is supposed to be kicking in...

somebody
12-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Those pings aren't too bad to be honest for a traffic managed plan that is primarily subscribed by heavy P2P users.

plod
12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I have just bitten thebullet and signed up, change over on friday.
dam it:crying

qazwsxokmijn
12-10-2009, 06:46 PM
68 ms is bad? Here I was thinking my 94 ms is OK!!!:eek:

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Im now getting 40ms to DotALAN (My VPN service)

Previously was getting 18-20ms
My boss just down the road on a normal Telecom Adventure plan was getting 9ms at the same time..

It's not bad *too* bad, but the packet loss is a worry

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Well, did some gaming, solid as usual, though I've got some uber QoS at my end too.. no major spikes / packet loss on Warcraft III ports, same for the PPTP VPN port, so I'm happy for now! :D

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Figures, *zero* packet loss during the morning prior to "Traffic Management" kicking in ...

http://www.dotalan.co.nz:85/ping_tr_2.zip

Its quite easy to see where the packets are going missing. Might call Telecom today and see if they're able to improve things ;)

Other than that, everythings fine, browsing still "feels" the same (Using OpenDNS), my QoS still works well (Though I had to drop its speed down just a tad).
Note: All tests were done with QoS turned *off* at my end, and I kept a sharp eye on the realtime bandwidth graph to make sure nothing else was interfering.

Edit: This mornings Pingtest results I forgot to include:
http://www.pingtest.net/result/820162.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/821892.png

utopian201
13-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Other than that, everythings fine, browsing still "feels" the same (Using OpenDNS), my QoS still works well (Though I had to drop its speed down just a tad).
Note: All tests were done with QoS turned *off* at my end, and I kept a sharp eye on the realtime bandwidth graph to make sure nothing else was interfering.

Why do you use OpenDNS?

Blam
13-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Why do you use OpenDNS?

I use it because its more reliable IMO(and the web filtering pretty good too)

utopian201
13-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I use it because its more reliable IMO(and the web filtering pretty good too)

But don't you then miss out on Telecom's high speed local cache?

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2009, 08:22 PM
By High Speed you mean the difference between a 280ms ping and a 50ms ping? Yet when using local DNS I find myself waiting for several seconds, specifically for the details of Ad servers to resolve ;)

I tried them for all of 15 minutes but got so pissed off at the "feel" of browsing speeds being so much worse, I couldn't stand it and switched right back to OpenDNS :(
Even Orcons DNS, when I was on their connection, "felt" better than Telecoms, but this is all circumstantial and I can't actually prove anything ;)

utopian201
14-10-2009, 09:59 AM
The latency may be higher, but the throughput may also be higher. I will switch from go large to big time in a few days, so I'll do some tests before and after using different dns servers tonight.

DeSade
14-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I personally have only one opinion on all these uncapped unlimited etc etc plans.

You get what you pay for.

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I think that's quite an over-generalization there.

utopian201, that'd be cool, I'd be keen to hear how you go.

utopian201
14-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Are there any specific tests I should run on go large so everyone can compare?
I was just going to do

time taken to load a youtube video using telecom vs open dns (and again on big time)
compare ping times

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I did:
Pingtest.net prior to & after completion of all these tests
Speedtest.net to multiple servers
ping -n 100 Domain >> domain.txt
where Domain is:
nzherald.co.nz
trademe.co.nz
dotalan.co.nz
news.com.au
australianoftheyear.org.au

Traceroutes to all of the above domains also with WinMTR
Also max download speeds for:
http://www.dotalan.co.nz:85/random.large

I did that both prior to changing, and once during the daytime (While shaping is in place) and once in the early AM prior to shaping kicking in (at 5:30AM)

It's a lot, but it'll give you a real good indication of where things go wrong ;)

DeSade
14-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I think that's quite an over-generalization there.

I disagree,
I pay a premium for my data and the best speeds I can get with it, if that means "unlimited" users need to be shaped/managed whatever for me to continue to receive the good speeds that I enjoy and pay for then I don't have a problem with that.

Everyone at some point gets what they pay for, if you pay little as possible you receive a service on par with that.

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Considering I'm getting better speeds than the majority of the country, I think I'm getting *very* good value-for-money ;)

DeSade
14-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Until too many leeches join up and your throttled right back like every other unlimited plan that has ever existed.

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2009, 06:46 AM
You just appear pissed at the thought of having to pay per-GB, a 'premium fee' for internet access, where NZ already crawls so far behind.

This is why the Govt is doing a national fiber roll-out. Sure plans will probably not be flat-rate, but I know when a friend moved to Canada a year ago, his plan went from 5GB in NZ to 400GB in Canada, for around the same price. I dunno about you, but 400GB seems "sufficient" for most purposes at this point in time ;)

Regardless, this thread wasn't created with the intent or purpose of others grumbling and speculating thoughts about the service, but some actual hard evidence for a change from somebody who knows what they're doing when it comes to Internet connections, which will give the general populace an idea of what is *actually* attainable on this and what to really expect if you have a decent infrastructure in-place.

If you've got a crappy modem & you live a long way from the exchange then of course you're going to have issues, is all I have to say to those complaining so much on GPForums / Geekzone. Many of them appear to be part of what's known as "the un-educated masses"...

DeSade
15-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Nah it just annoys me that my connection can suffer if too many free-loaders get on these unlimited plans and suck all the bandwidth.
But your right about the thread so my apologies for going slightly off-topic.

As for your setup, your certainly not the average user, so how hard would it be for the rest of us to duplicate your results?

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Sounds like Xnet, thats what happens with their torrent plan (even tho they deny it). They hog the bandwidth, other users suffer with the crap speeds

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2009, 08:58 AM
To be frank, relatively easy, especially with the likes of NetComm's NB6PLUS4Wn. They're *the* most reliable consumer router that I've seen, and when comparing the speeds attained on the same line with the likes of Orcon's Home Hub (BizHub), Telecoms Tomson TG585, Linksys WAG160N, Linksys AM300, and a D-Link DSL-504G, the NetComm was both the fastest, the most feature rich, and the most reliable under torrent / voip / heavy load. I know it might sound kinda crazy, but my theory is that most of the problems in NZ is either at the exchange level, or at the router level ;)
Personally though I'm using an AM300 which attained the same speeds as the NetComm, but the AM300 is in Halfbridge mode to a Tomato Router, doing QoS and things (Again dead simple to setup).

Sadly streaming video may have taken a turn for the worse, YouTube is relatively good (even the HD videos), but IGN sucks. That said I don't know what it was like beforehand so can't accurately compare.
I seem to attain my max line speed easier now in fact, when multi-threading downloads via http or usenet, but still need to do a fair bit more testing, just haven't had the chance to.

Yeah, you're right, and that's where a lot of congestion happens at the exchange level. That appears to be why Xnet sucked so bad, after they bought out the torrent plan and all the P2P'ers jumped onboard.

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Sounds like Xnet, thats what happens with their torrent plan (even tho they deny it). They hog the bandwidth, other users suffer with the crap speeds

Yup, crap QoS from their end .... :(

DeSade
15-10-2009, 10:00 AM
To be frank, relatively easy, especially with the likes of NetComm's NB6PLUS4Wn. They're *the* most reliable consumer router that I've seen, and when comparing the speeds attained on the same line with the likes of Orcon's Home Hub (BizHub), Telecoms Tomson TG585, Linksys WAG160N, Linksys AM300, and a D-Link DSL-504G, the NetComm was both the fastest, the most feature rich, and the most reliable under torrent / voip / heavy load. I know it might sound kinda crazy, but my theory is that most of the problems in NZ is either at the exchange level, or at the router level ;)
Personally though I'm using an AM300 which attained the same speeds as the NetComm, but the AM300 is in Halfbridge mode to a Tomato Router, doing QoS and things (Again dead simple to setup).

Sadly streaming video may have taken a turn for the worse, YouTube is relatively good (even the HD videos), but IGN sucks. That said I don't know what it was like beforehand so can't accurately compare.
I seem to attain my max line speed easier now in fact, when multi-threading downloads via http or usenet, but still need to do a fair bit more testing, just haven't had the chance to.

Yeah, you're right, and that's where a lot of congestion happens at the exchange level. That appears to be why Xnet sucked so bad, after they bought out the torrent plan and all the P2P'ers jumped onboard.

Its a big ask but do you have instructions at all?
Someone like me knows computers to some degree but home network and basic ADSL router is pretty much it.

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm actually writing some nice basic documentation that's relatively foolproof at the moment, just haven't had a chance to complete it, but when I have I'll let you know :)