PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my old stuff on to my new PC??

19-07-2001, 10:03 PM
Hi there
I am going to buy a new computer and I would like to transfer some of my infomation from my old computer on to my new computer but I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me?? Thank you.

19-07-2001, 11:10 PM
Depends what you want to copy megan, if its files and things like internet favourites you could put your old harddrive into the new pc as a slave to the new harddrive then you can just copy those files across to the new drive (both will be visible in my computer).

20-07-2001, 11:46 AM
I still want the old computer to have its hard drive so is there some way you can use a cable between the 2 PCs and send stuff from one to the other?? If so what sort of cable and what socket do you plug it in to??
Thanks

20-07-2001, 12:10 PM
Hi Megan,
Do what Mark said, take the HD out of your old PC and make it a slave by configering the jumper at the rear of the HD, jumper settings are on the top of the HD on most models.
Pop it in your new PC, make sure the plugs are in correctlly, the Power has the yellow to the right side of the drive, when looking at it from the back, and the IDE cable has the red stripe (pin 1) again, closest to the right side. Turn it on and copy what you want. Then make it Master and pop it back in the old PC. It is quite simple, and one of the faster ways to copy data/files etc..

Option 2 is to have them networked, ofcourse you have to have a Network Card in each machine and connect the two with a Crossover Cable if useing a 10/100 Network Card or if your old school and useing the BNC make sure each spare end of the T connector has a terminator on it.

If your still unsure dont be shy, sing out :)

Ken.

20-07-2001, 12:21 PM
Better yet, if you havnt got the new PC yet, tell the shop to install a 100Meg Network card, and buy another for the old one. And a Cat5 Crossover Cable of whatever length you need.
If you need any help installing a Network Card or more infomatation email me at ken_welch@hotmail.com
or ICQ # 6322581.
I have 6 PC's networked here at home. If you are keeping the old computer, I gather you are, then I do reccomend you Network them. You can then share files, printers etc, you can have both online through 1 phoneline, you can use the older system for backups, lot of things you can do..
Buzz me if you need help,

Ken.

20-07-2001, 01:42 PM
Just incase you dont want to network them this is a good way - you dont need to change the jumper settings.

Assumming the new pc has a cd-rom installed which it should, switch off and unplug the power and ide connectors from the cd-rom (leave the audio connector as you dont need that) then plug those into the old harddrive the same way they went into the cd-rom, then switch on and go into bios and have the drives auto detected - your old drive will be set up as the secondry master and you will see both drives in my computer
and can transfer files across.
After you have finished switch off and put the connectors back into the cd-rom then switch on go into bios and auto detect the hd and cd-rom.