PDA

View Full Version : Installing Win XP on Satellite P305-S8832

emmerc
11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
A couple of days ago I got a brand new WD SATA HDD 250GB and a brand new CD of Windows XP Home SP3 and I swap the HD of my P305-S8832 and began the odyssey of installing WinXP.

I had all my data and my Vista installation on two other HDs that where now outside the machine so I did not run any risks. I began the installation by setting the SATA HDD to compatibility mode and proceeded.

Once the installation ended, I went to http://downloadcenter.intel.com and looked for those XP drivers I could not get from toshiba download center (almost all of them I got from Toshiba). Namely video and wireless. Sound driver was the most difficult (Conexant Smart Audio 221), which I got from HP download center after a long google search.

I search first at the model page in Toshiba. For those driver not available at toshiba, I got the exact name of every driver from the dvd installer of the machine and then searched for everyone either at Toshiba Downloads, Intel Download or finally Google.

Then I did all the updating process, installed AVG free antivirus, Firefox 3.5, Thunderbird, Office, Nero, etc....

Now the evaluation:

1. Almost everything works. Only the FM Radio does not work. I was not able to find any XP driver for it. All the Fn keys work, keyboard illumination, etc.

2. As the sata HDD is working on compatibility mode, it is a little bit slow. I tried all: defragmenting, setting off search indexing, moved the page file to the secondary HD. Still a little bit slow for applications as burning a DVD on nero.

3. Applications work very well although they seem to hold a little bit before starting: Office 2003, Bible Works 6 and 7, Libronix 3 (8.5 GB of databases)

4. I am looking for an external floppy drive to try to install the sata drivers and then activate the sata mode of the HDD but I have the sata drivers in Windows version. I think I need them in DOS version and I have not gotten them so far. This could make the HDD faster I think.

5. Huge amount of memory free (Machine has 3GB of DDR2 667). When Vista Home Premium starts has already swallowed 1.3 GB while XP takes only 450Mb after starting.

Well, I hope this might be useful for somebody. I welcome suggestions.

UPDATE:

The next day a friend from the Toshiba US forum provided me the answer to install SATA support in this machine under XP, let ME share the solution:

* Download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

* Once you download the file, run it with the -a switch:

iata89_enu.exe -a

This will NOT install the Matrix Storage Manager. What this will do is run the installer, and

ONLY EXTRACT the files to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Again, this

does NOT install anything.

* Your drivers are now located in C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. They

will be found in either \Driver, or \Driver64, depending on whether you're running a 32-bit

or 64-bit OS.

* Go to Device Manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double-click on the Intel ICH8M 3-port

SATA Controller - 2828... remember, ONLY click on the device that ends with 2828.

* Go to Driver tab, and choose to Update Driver.

* Tell the Wizard prompts:
* No, not this time
* Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
* Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install.
* Click the "Have Disk" button. Point it to C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage

Manager\Driver (or Driver64).

* Choose the driver you want to install....
* After you install the driver and click OK out of every menu, reboot the laptop.

Once I apply these procedures, the machine booted perfectly the new XP with the drives in AHCI.

Now I am writing this from my Toshiba P305-S8832 (Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 3GB DDR2 667) running Windows XP Home SP3 fully legal, fully updated with all working (except the FM Tuner) and with two SATA HDD fully supported in AHCI mode at full throttle.

I hope this might be useful to somebody out there.

Why did I do this? Simply because I had the opportunity and the resources at hand.

All the data is safe in the secondary HDD and the Vista Home Premium installation is safe in a WD 160GB SATA HDD fully wrapped in anti static material with humidity absorbing stuff.