PDA

View Full Version : XP Mode in Windows 7

kenbola
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Will I need to install an anti-virus program separately in the XP Mode of Windows 7? I will have Xtra's 'free to broadband users, Mcafee AV installed in '7'

gary67
11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes to antivirus in XP mode, I wouldn't be using CrapAfee though use something better either Nod 32 the best or the new MS one

Blam
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Understand that XP Mode is simply an XP Virtual Machine, polished to make it easier to use.

So just like any other PC, it would need an antivirus.

pctek
11-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Understand that XP Mode is simply an XP Virtual Machine
So just like any other PC, it would need an antivirus.

Does it? Why?

I would have thought XP mode is just something you go use if you need to run an older incompatible app or whatever.
Surely as you're not doing anything else, AV in the main O/S part is enough?

somebody
11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Does it? Why?

I would have thought XP mode is just something you go use if you need to run an older incompatible app or whatever.
Surely as you're not doing anything else, AV in the main O/S part is enough?

Since the VM has network access, it is possible that something like a worm could get through from an infected pc somewhere else on the network - i.e. say a family member comes to visit and plugs their infected laptop into your network.

Chilling_Silence
11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Yup, definitely needs A/V.

Grab Security Essentials, free from the MS website ;)

SolMiester
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Im not sure if you can turn the vhd into a read only file, like you can with Moka5 or 2008 hyper-V, then you would need to worry about worm etc, as no changes to the XP system get saved period.

Poppa John
12-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Curious...I am running XP Home, is there a visual version that cabe run on XP? A look alike so to speak? PJ

wainuitech
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
If you are meaning Virtual Machine for XP - yes there is, but if its another windows OS you need to supply the product key.

With Windows 7 Pro and above and XP Mode, the XP is built in, and all use the same product key(I checked 4 PC's all the same)

Poppa John
12-10-2009, 07:08 PM
If you are meaning Virtual Machine for XP - yes there is, but if its another windows OS you need to supply the product key.

With Windows 7 Pro and above and XP Mode, the XP is built in, and all use the same product key(I checked 4 PC's all the same)

Mmm, not quite what I meant. When Vista came out, it was possible to do something that made XP look like Vista. is this possible with XP to W7? PJ

Blam
12-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Mmm, not quite what I meant. When Vista came out, it was possible to do something that made XP look like Vista. is this possible with XP to W7? PJ

Yes-there are theme packs and such. But of course, they will only visually look like the OS..

Personally I don't trust any of these packs. Have had lots of people come to me with unbootable or broken PCs because they've been playing around with system files to change the interface.

If you really must, create a system restore point first!

Poppa John
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes-there are theme packs and such. But of course, they will only visually look like the OS..

Personally I don't trust any of these packs. Have had lots of people come to me with unbootable or broken PCs because they've been playing around with system files to change the interface.

If you really must, create a system restore point first!

I had best not try it, methinks. Thanks All. PJ

wainuitech
12-10-2009, 08:39 PM

If you really must, create a system restore point first! I can agree with that :waughh: I have a workshop windows XP that has a Vista theme pack - its stuck in that theme.

One day when I feel like it, I might reinstall the OS - it works fine, just all turns to custard if I try to alter the theme, been like that since vista first came out and people made themes------OOPS!

Blam
12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I can agree with that :waughh: I have a workshop windows XP that has a Vista theme pack - its stuck in that theme.

One day when I feel like it, I might reinstall the OS - it works fine, just all turns to custard if I try to alter the theme, been like that since vista first came out and people made themes------OOPS!

Yea, and usually even after performing a system restore the changes stay there, even though the makers of the pack say that a system restore will revert all changes!

mzee
14-10-2009, 07:29 PM
If you google "W7 themes for xp" you will find some.