PDA

View Full Version : Convert C Drive FAT32 to NTFS gone Belly-up on me

gza
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I did a full conversion of C Drive FAT32 to NTFS, using Easus Partition Master 4 Home Edition. Once done, I was asked to Validate Windows. Tried that, no response from MS, because com hadn't opened to Windows. Rebooted and got into Windows, connected to internet and was asked to put in 25 digit License key. couldn't as the com was bought 2nd hand 3 to 4 year ago, without software discs. There's no windows sticker on the com case with a code on iy, and now, two days later, the computer won't open.
I did the conversion for a mate on wednesday last week, MS gave only 2 days to validate. Now its unbootable.

I was 90k away when I got the text from them and am almost back in Invercargill now to look at it, see what can be done to get it p and runing again.
MS want $257 for a new License key.

What the hell!!!!!! The OS was validated, ad to be to get SP3 and WMP 11!!!!! all I've done is change the File System/Format.........MS see this as a New Installation on a New Computer???????????

I'm going to try these thigs:-
1./ See if it boots into Safe Mode....give me access to internet
2./ Try getting into WINDOWS>System32> oembios folder and find the license key( I think its in there because I stumbled across the key on one of my 'explorations ' of the WINDOWS folder on one of my computrs 3 years ago).
3./ Try booting it with my WXP Pro disc and see if I can do a Repair
4./ Make the 30GB Slave drive the Primary Master Drive and Fresh install WXP Pro+SP2 (Intergrated) to it. My Copy of XP Pro + SP2 is Permanently Activated.
I do have WXP Ultimate Boot CD and Ultimate Recovery CD, but they're a big-bit alien to me.

What do ya reckon?.....apart from pay MS $257

Ouch : :mad:

I'll be back to this to check thread in about 2 hours.
Ta
gza

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
If its because of this (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=103800) you should have continued from this post. The convert command probably would have done the same thing

pctek
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I did a full conversion of C Drive FAT32 to NTFS, using Easus Partition Master 4 Home Edition.

I was asked to Validate Windows. Rebooted was asked to put in 25 digit License key. couldn't as the com was bought 2nd hand . There's no windows sticker on the com case with a code

I was 90k away and am almost back in Invercargill now to look at it,

I'm going to try these thigs:-

2./ Try getting into WINDOWS>System32> oembios folder and find the license key( I think its in there because I stumbled across the key on one of my 'explorations ' of the WINDOWS folder on one of my computrs 3 years ago).
3./ Try booting it with my WXP Pro disc and see if I can do a Repair
4./ Fresh install WXP Pro+SP2 to it. My Copy of XP Pro + SP2 is Permanently Activated.

I put a 30GB Quantum Fireball lct 20 30 HDD into mates com
Perhaps you should stop making things worse and let a real tech sort it out now.

If it didn't have a COA it was never legal.

A Quantum Fireball??!! Why - do you really hate these people?

You can't find a license key like the way you describe. Nor will I tell you how you can fnd it, it probably won't help if it was illegal anyway.

Fresh install yet another illegal O/S? And how is yours "permanently activated"? By being illegal itself.

Stop stuffing it up.

nedkelly
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
wonder how long this thread will last?

wainuitech
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Suggest you take the advice of Pctek - no ones going to help with illegal software here, also its against the forum rules.

While you can get pre activated OS/ Software - they are generally issued out to corporate users etc. NOT available to the general public.

I have a piece of software from technet thats preactivated, but its part of my subscription.

The ones that are available to the general public that are pre-licenced is trial software like Windows 7 30 day trial (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/springboard/archive/2009/09/01/windows-7-enterprise-90-day-evaluation-now-available.aspx), but it still needs to be activated.

gza
11-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I managed to get through to MS and gave them a full set of 6 digit number groups that showed on-screen, and after explaining that the Validate/Activation request came up after the format change, I was given another set of 6 digit number groups that I had to type into boxes on-screen, was told to click 'Next' and 'Finish'. Did so and the com is back to normal.
As for My Permanently Activated XP Pro CD, it was issued by MS to Colleges in the USA for students to learn how to instal Windows XP.
I also have a Legal copy of Windows XP Home + SP1 (OEM), that I have installed on 3 computers I have had and that passes muster everytime.
Both given to me 2 years ago by a Canadian I know in Auckland, who was moving over to Vista.
So the OS System installed on this computer is Legal, and so are the ones that I have, ranging From '95, '98, NT, NT4, 2000, XP Home and XP Pro.
I could've found the OS Product Key with a Product Key Finder program that I have had stashed away for 3years. I don't know where it is and have never used it. No need to.
Thank you all
ps: beware buying used computers without getting the OS CD and other software.
Same goes for NEW computers with Pre-installed OS and Software....unless you ask for the Installation CD's, you won't get them.
Thread over.

pctek
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
As for My Permanently Activated XP Pro CD, it was issued by MS to Colleges in the USA for students to learn how to instal Windows XP.

I also have Windows XP Home (OEM), that I have installed on 3 computers I have had.

Sure. Thousands would believe that. Microsoft wouldn't. And do you know what OEM means?