PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Router CRC errors - what do you make of this?

wratterus
10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
So for the last wee while there's been a few oddities with the internet here, one thing was DNS, the router didn't seem to be behaving right, pages wouldn't load, net access choppy etc. If Orcon's DNS servers were put in manually on the machines on the network it was OK, but if the gateway (192.168.1.1) was put in as the DNS on the machines the problem was still there.

Just the other day heaps of CRC errors started appearing on the router, had 3000 on Friday.

The attached picture is just this morning. I tried another ADSL router, there was one error in about a half hour, but on average the net was quicker, and sites loaded right first time.

I'm pretty sure the ADSL router (Dynalink RTA220) is on the way out, just wondering if anyone had any other theories. :p I don't wanna have to set up a new router, so many port forwards and rules... :crying

Blam
10-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Is there an updated firmware for it?

Sounds bad:(

wratterus
10-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Duh - cheers Blam I hadn't looked for that yet. Will have a look now thanks. :)

That router has been doing 30+ GB a month for over 5 years, and sorting out about 40 - 80 clients at any one time, so it's had a hard life.

Meh, just had a look, it's got the latest firmware. October 2003! :(

Blam
10-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Dang. Does it have a option to save the configuration to a file, so you can perform a full reset?

wratterus
10-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Dang. Does it have a option to save the configuration to a file, so you can perform a full reset?

Yep - tried that a few weeks back. Didn't seem to change anything. Might try it again though, you never know. :p

wratterus
10-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah just tried the reset again, same problem. Must be time for a new router. :( Thanks for the help Blam. :thumbs:

pctek
10-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Well I had intermittent webpage not loadings, checked router stats, CRC errors all over the place.

troubleshooting lead me to the dining room - swapped phone cable - problem still there - husband re-terminated jackpoint - problem still there - plug in new cordless phone - oh look, problem gone.

And the phone works just fine too - gave it to a friend (who doesn't have internet at all).

Blam
10-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Go for an AM300. Set it up in Half bridge mode, then you can manage DHCP, Port forwards and everything from your Wireless AP.