PDA

View Full Version : Avira on recent PC World DVD

GordonBennet
10-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi

Has anyone successfully installed the Avira Anti-virus from the October DVD?

Whether I download and install or try to install direct from the DVD I get an error. I went to the retailer and got a replacement DVD. Same problem.

The DVD drive works fine for other duites.

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2009, 11:53 AM
And what does the error say? Doesnt sound like the PC world dvd is the prob. Since it happens when you download / try and install it as well. You maybe missing some file thats needed or something. What version of windows are you trying to install it on?? And have you tried installing it on another PC, and did it work?

kountryken
10-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes I to had the same problem to a Dell laptop and windows XP home edition. So went onto web pae Avira free download and installed that, no problem at all. Sounds to me like DVD has a faulty Avira free software.

GordonBennet
10-10-2009, 12:32 PM
When I say "download" I mean from the DVD - i.e. "save as" to my computer then execute - vs. navigating to the directory on the DVD and executing the .exe directly.

Error is:

"Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation"

Last messages in the install dialog box (showing progress/steps) are:

"CRC failed in basic\vcredist_x86.exe
Unexpected end of archive

P.S. Windows XP Pro; don't have another DVD drive to test.

gary67
10-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I probably wouldn't use it as there is better available. Just stepped up to MS security essentials after Wainui's testing from Avast