PDA

View Full Version : Storing Hard drives - how safe in cold ?

Digby
10-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a few hard drives with some data on them that I may need to store in a storage shed in the North Island.

Do you think my data will be safe over a few years. Obviously it get scold at night.

I found this info on a web site which seems to say that they can strand temps as low as -40 deg c !

"Non-Operating Temperature Range: This is the range of acceptable temperatures for the drive when it is either in storage, or in a PC that is in transit or otherwise not operating. This range is normally very wide, much wider than the operating temperature limits, since the unit is much less sensitive to extremes of temperature when it is not functioning. A typical range would be -40�C (-40�F) to 70�C (158�F). Clearly few users will have a problem with these numbers."

What do you think ?

bob_doe_nz
10-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd try several things.

Wrap in antistatic bag.
Place in a sealed container (Sistema lunch box containers as an example)
Put one or two oxygen absorber packs with it.

pctek
10-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a few hard drives with some data on them that I may need to store in a storage shed in the North Island.

I found this info on a web site which seems to say that they can strand temps as low as -40 deg c !

I think not only can you store it in your shed, I could store it in mine in the middle of winter.

We might need to worry when we move to Siberia.

They're not at all fragile you know - go ahead.

PaulD
10-10-2009, 02:03 PM
They're not at all fragile you know - go ahead.

They are fragile, they just tolerate a wider range of temperatures than bouncing off the permafrost.

Digby
10-10-2009, 02:28 PM
We might need to worry when we move to Siberia.

PCtek ! - what will your husband say, when he finds out we are in Siberia !

qazwsxokmijn
10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I think you just need to worry about moisture more than cold temps. :)

Poppa John
10-10-2009, 07:15 PM
PCtek ! - what will your husband say, when he finds out we are in Siberia !

I think, just at the moment, that they ARE in Siberia. PJ:waughh: