PDA

View Full Version : XP Home

DeSade
09-10-2009, 06:11 AM
I am replacing a dead hard drive for a friend in a laptop and all I have is recovery disks that rely on the recovery partition which obviously does not exist on the new hard drive.

Anyone know where I can find the XP Home software to go with the key I have so I can install this OS?

davidmmac
09-10-2009, 06:14 AM
You could try contacting the manufacturer, they may be able to help you :thumbs:.

pctek
09-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Or you could do it manually. Install Windows using the COA on the laptop, then download all the drivers for it from the manufacturers site.

Is the drive totally dead or is it still readable?

DeSade
09-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Drive is dead I am looking at a full reinstall of windows which is not a issue, I just don't have software to match the key. Never used XP Home myself so do not have the disk for it and the recovery cd's do not have the full install on them

paulw
09-10-2009, 07:37 AM
You could try contacting the manufacturer, they may be able to help you :thumbs:.

If it's a Compaq or HP forget it. I waited 3 weeks for a recovery disk for my daughters laptop which never arrived. In the finish i took it in to Visualtech who loaded it for free. Needless to say I made a recovery set before I gave it back to her..

bk T
09-10-2009, 08:09 AM
In the finish i took it in to Visualtech who loaded it for free...

Wow, that's great! Do you have a personal friend working there, or ...? There are actually 'free lunches' in this world!

paulw
09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow, that's great! Do you have a personal friend working there, or ...? There are actually 'free lunches' in this world!

I think they felt sorry for me after waiting 3 weeks and all the calls to India > NZ they they couldn't find any record of the serial number , then next day they found it then they couldn't tell from that what version of OS was loaded etc, etc..

DeSade
09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Sorted thanks guys

AvonBill
09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey it would be nice to hear how you got it sorted so we can all benefit. I understand there may be a reason you can't but didn't think you would mind if I asked.

DeSade
09-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Sure
I found a ISO of the software on our work network.
Never seen it installed anyway guess we just have them all.