PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Big Time - Part 1: First impressions - SignUp

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
So, I figured I'd document this, many people here seem quite interested in it.

Anyways so I tried to get them to contact me by filling out a few different forms online. No contact after a week. Got fed up, rang yesterday, held for 10 minutes then gave up.

Rang this evening (They're open until 9PM) and got some ditsy who had no idea about the QoS, or "Traffic Management" as they like to call it. She fumbled around for a little and got somebody else. Peter was great, polite, helpful, asked all the right questions to understand about the property layout (renting downstairs in a house)... He was knowledgeable about the Traffic Management, its implications, and the fine-print wording which says its P2P currently but in future could be anything.
He added extra info about the line here being previously connected but now we've got Naked DSL with Orcon, so the tech will come out to roll out a new line / jackpoint at no extra cost.

They're couriering the router, should be here tomorrow or Monday (for me to whack up on TradeMe).

Long story short, todays Thursday night, they reckon the tech will be out just after noon on Monday :thumbs: THAT is a nice good turnaround time! 2 business days beats 2+ weeks any time!

Off to a surprisingly good start, will see how we go on Monday :D

Now, because I'm too cheap to pay for a static IP and just want it so I can remote in to my home PC, I need to suss out a dynamic DNS provider to chuck into the Tomato router.

Anyways, if anybody else has signed up, I'd be interested to know how you go.

Cheers

Chill.

nedkelly
08-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Im using http://www.dyndns.com/ which is also free but you can pay to get extra features.
OOPS. just read your post again and I see that you were talking about the broadband plan and not the dynamic dns

pcuser42
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
We signed up on Monday, 4 hours later they kindly told us we made an error and we had to transfer our current broadband over to them. So we did that. Another 5 or so hours later they confirmed it and then we waited for the Thursday (today) when it was connected. No modem arrived as we told them we already had one.

Well we're on Big Time now and I have no complaints so far. :D

pctek
08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
They have to be extremely amazing to get me back. I won't go back on principle.

It's like supporting foreign banks, and buying from Aussie chainstores.

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I wasn't keen to go back either, especially after how *horrible* Xnet was at the end there ...

However my boss took his Orcon ADSL2+ connection which was excellent (15m/bit from speedtest) and got a second line with Telecom on their Adventure plan. Speeds are *almost* identical, however Telecom seems to be about 10KB faster upload, and 150KB slower download, but still 15m/bit!

Pings to TradeMe.co.nz are approx 9ms with Telecom and 18 with Orcon... So far no reliability issues with the exception of using a crap modem at first, but other than that it's been surprisingly good :)

davidmmac
08-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I was able to "chat" (instant messaging) to a Telecom person last week about getting broadband. It was probably my best experience with them, there was no being on hold, I could understand the person I was sending messages to and the whole thing took less than 5 minutes :clap.

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Really ? How did you manage that?

davidmmac
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Really ? How did you manage that?

On the Plans page on the Telecom website where it says "Need help buying broadband" (see here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/untitled1254984659.jpg)), during the middle of the day last week it said "chat to a Telecom representative" (or something along those lines) instead of "call me back" (which it says at the moment).

Edit: managed to get the link (http://www.telecom.co.nz/help/webchat/bbsignup?subject=Chat%20about%20signing%20up%20to% 20Broadband&p_prods=191&p_cats=541) I used last week from my history (just shows a blank page at the moment though, should be different in the middle of the day tomorrow).

Erayd
08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
...Now, because I'm too cheap to pay for a static IP and just want it so I can remote in to my home PC, I need to suss out a dynamic DNS provider to chuck into the Tomato router.Why not just use skynet for that? Beats the hell out of a static IP...

stu161204
08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I need to suss out a dynamic DNS provider to chuck into the Tomato router.

Both http://www.no-ip.com/ & http://www.dyndns.com/ are Good :)

stu161204
08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
They're couriering the router, should be here tomorrow or Monday (for me to whack up on TradeMe).

Do you know if they are ADSL2?

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2009, 09:46 PM
If what is ADSL2+? My connection is, and BigTime is, as-is my Linksys AM300 ... ?

stu161204
08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
The Telecom router, they are sending you.

Netsukeninja
08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
@stu161204

I assume Chilling is getting the Thomson TG585v7 (that's what they are sending out to pretty much everyone), which is ADSL2+ compatible.