PDA

View Full Version : Backing up Registry XP is it worth it ?

Digby
08-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi Guys
I am using XP and wonder if doing a regular backup of my registry is worth doing ?
And copying it to a DVD etc.
I have never had a blue screen of death problem, (touch wood) but wonder if having a backup would help me recover my machine and data etc.

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I wouldnt bother

linw
08-10-2009, 08:00 AM
A better answer would be to image your whole C: drive regularly. That way everything can be restored as it was at the backup stage.

Blam
08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
A better answer would be to image your whole C: drive regularly. That way everything can be restored as it was at the backup stage.

+1, Windows backs up your registry anyways(system restore and Last Known Good Configuration), althought they do not always work..

A complete image will be much safer, and trust me, at the moment you least expect it, you'll get a BSOD or something and you'll wish you had a backup....:p

inphinity
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Either do complete images, as suggested above, or just back up your data, and then deal with reinstalling applications in the event of a failure. I assume you already back up your data, and aren't thinking about JUST backing up the registry, right?

SolMiester
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Trouble is to restore said registry backup, you need a running PC, so whats the point?

Digby
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes I have backed up my data for the last 30 years.
Its just that I am always hearing about BSOD's and the registry etc.
What has made things more comfortable for me is that I have put all My Data, My Documents onto a separate physical D drive. So C drive just has Windows and Program Files on it.

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2009, 02:58 PM
BSOD's dont have anything to do with the registry. You usually get them when you install crap software / usually drivers. And malware / trojans can install drivers that make you crash as well. Defective hardware can also cause BDOS's

wainuitech
08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
As long as system Restore is not turned off, even if the PC wont boot into any mode, safe or normal,or last known good config doesn't work, you can restore from system restore and the recovery console Via the Windows XP CD.

Had to do it a couple of times and it worked fine every time. Not the same as running system Restore Via windows. Just a " few" DOS commands.

pctek
08-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Registry. The registry is bloatware. It should be purged not kept.

Make an image of your O/S, backup your personal data and forget about the registry.

zqwerty
08-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Just use this, I do as well as full back up:

ERUNT: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Once I was invaded by a devastating malware attack, couldn't use Acronis, this ERUNT has saved me a number of times.

pctek
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
J
Once I was invaded by a devastating malware attack, couldn't use Acronis.

How? It boots off CD.