PDA

View Full Version : Install OS without opt drive

whellington
07-10-2009, 10:03 AM
How do u install an OS without an optical drive?

I have extracted the files frm an OS disc to ISO format. Using the unetbootin program, made my usb bootable. Still doesnt work please help

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Whats the point in making an ISO if you cant burn it to cd?? You should have copied all of the files as is to a usb flash drive. Altho, it may not boot.

This depends if the USB flash drive (if this is what you have) is bootable. NOT all USB flash drives are. And whether the mobo supports booting from USB devices

wratterus
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
You used to be able to do this with Win98 quite easily just by copying the contents of the CD onto the hard drive and booting off a Win98 boot floppy....I haven't had the need to try on anything newer though so can't say for sure, most likely will not work with XP or newer.

Will the PC in question boot from USB?

whellington
07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Whats the point in making an ISO if you cant burn it to cd?? You should have copied all of the files as is to a usb flash drive. Altho, it may not boot.

This depends if the USB flash drive (if this is what you have) is bootable. NOT all USB flash drives are. And whether the mobo supports booting from USB devices

I know for a fact my USB and mobo is bootable (because i installed win7 onto my main rig). And my secondary rig is SE (main is SE2), so it shouldn't differ much

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Extract the files in the ISO then try

Blam
07-10-2009, 11:06 AM
How do u install an OS without an optical drive?

I have extracted the files frm an OS disc to ISO format. Using the unetbootin program, made my usb bootable. Still doesnt work please help

What OS are you trying to install?