PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2000 SR -1

daylilies56
07-10-2009, 04:40 AM
I am running windows XP - Dell 410 XPS and Outlook 2000 SR-1

I was trying to send an email that has yahoo.com as an extension. It yesterday but now it's shooting-back reading: delivery status notification.

I am getting a message that reads: does not have a program associated with it for this action... My computer,.. File Types,. When I open file types, it performs a search then stops. I do not know what to do at this point. thanks v much for any help.

johcar
07-10-2009, 09:23 AM
You will need to be a bit clearer. Please describe, step by step, what you are doing and perhaps paste in the email error message in its entirety...

Not sure what you mean by "sending an email with a yahoo.com extension"....

Are you getting some kind of error when trying to read the delivery status notification? is this an attachment to the email that is being returned? If so, is this attachment a ".dat" attachment?

johcar
07-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Re-reading the original post, is what you are trying to say that you are trying to send an email to someone with a yahoo.com address?

My other questions still stand...

I suspect if my assumptions are valid, then the yahoo.com address is probably wrong...

daylilies56
08-10-2009, 03:03 AM
"Re-reading the original post, is what you are trying to say that you are trying to send an email to someone with a yahoo.com address?"

Hi, you said it correctly as stated above. I have used this email address many times and asked the owner if he was getting emails from other friends as well - he said yes, they were coming thru to him. I uninstalled Outlook 2000 and reinstalled to try and clean it up. Still same message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 0 second(s): AND WHEN I open the .dat attachment it reads:

The file C:\Docus and Settings\.... Temp Internet Files... does not have a program associated with it for this action. To create an association, double click My Computer, View menu, Options, then File Types.

When I do this search, it ends at Registered File Types. However, I do not know what the problem is. I did, among all these tasks, update my Trend Micro anti-virus software to its latest version compatible with my operating system. I hope this helps. thanks for responding.

daylilies56
08-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Additionally, when I send an email out to him using my google email, it gets to him. However, I cannot reply or send a new email to him using my Outlook email. He can send to me and I do receive the emails in both outlook and google mail. It is definitely something with the configuation in outlook. I tried turning "off" - protection from spam mail. Still the same - message notification.

Safari
08-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Don't worry about the .dat file
The non delivery mesage you receive should have some more information about the reason it was returned.
Post the full message here so we can have a look at it.

It should have something like - unable to deliver to xxx@yahoo.com and then it gives the reason.

daylilies56
08-10-2009, 10:31 AM
----Original Message-----
From: Mail Delivery System [mailto:mailer-daemon@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:09 AM
To: daylilies56@comcast.net
Subject: Delivery status notification

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 5 minute(s):

.......@yahoo.com

Thanks for your help. This is the return message every time.

Safari
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
If your internet connection is with comcast are you using smtp.comcast.net for your outgoing mail server in Outlook.

If your internet connection is with someone else you will need to use their SMTP server to send mail

I suggest you give comcast a call, they may be able to help with the problem as the returned message is coming from them.

daylilies56
08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Thank You. This is so weird. I went into the server tab and the smtp were reversed to read smpt.comcast.net - but how were the other outgoing emails getting out too? I should have looked at that from the beginning. So, the emails are not being returned now. Next time, I shall check that first. Thanks v much.