PDA

View Full Version : Password not saved

19-07-2001, 02:14 PM
My PC has somehow changed from saving my dial up password, to requiring it to be entered everytime [ the save password option is greyed out] Issue may be connected to Windows 98 now also requiring me to log on, prior to Windows loading. How do I [a] save the dial up password and [b] delete the windows sign on

19-07-2001, 06:36 PM
Hi Graham, I just discovered a site that has some good information on passwords -

http://www.geocities.com/budallen98_98/

click on the index button at top then scroll down to the P section and you will see 'get rid of windows password' in brackets, click on that, also on that page you will see info on making your dial-up networking password stay put.
Been looking through this site and it has some really good tips, hope it helps.

19-07-2001, 09:59 PM
Hi Graham, the way windows handles the saving of passwords is logically very simple but very dificult to explain in words, but I'll have a go. The first time you load windows you are invited to log in with a user name and a password so that this and each subsequent time you log in windows knows who you are. On that first time windows creates a file called 'username'.pwl in which it saves those passwords that it offers to save but does not save your windows log in password there.
On each subsequent load where you log in with the same user name as the first time with a valid password windows will open the 'username'.pwl file and any passwords saved in it are available for windows to automatically fill in for you, and to save any new passwords that windows offers to save for you. If you cancel the windows log in at load time windows does not know who you are and does not open a 'username'.pwl file so all the 'save password' facilities are greyed out. If you log in to windows at load time with a new user name and password windows will create a new 'username'.pwl file and save passwords will again be available. It follows that several different people can share a PC and by logging in at load time using different user names can save their own set of passwords for the various services that require them without sharing passwords. You can avoid logging in at load time by entering a valid user name and a blank password and from then on you will not be asked to log in at load time and you will be able to save passwords like for dialup connections etc but anyone who has access to your PC can also load the system and have access to your dialup password and any other password you have saved in the 'username'.pwl file. If this is the arrangement you now want you must change your existing load time password to as many space characters as there are characters in your valid load time password by using the controlpanel/password facility to change it, then when you next load windows simply click OK to your user name but leave the password field blank. I told you it was difficult to explain but I hope this helps you to understand and achieve the setup you are looking for.
Regards PC

19-07-2001, 11:49 PM
Hello again Graham, correction to my posting, forget all that nonsence about the number of characters in the password, to change it simply enter the old password and leave the new and confirm fields blank and select OK. I had confused windows with another operating system or had one too many glasses of wine at dinner.
Regards PC.

20-07-2001, 12:23 AM
...many thanks for passing on the link to Bud Allen's site, Mark.

Had a quick look around and, as a Win89SE user, it looks most helpful.

Cheers!!!

e_