PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hard drive

convair
06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I have heard that it is possible to install a game on a second hard drive and run it from that drive.

Is this true or would there be problems?

KarameaDave
06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Should work well in fact.
Just select the new drive during installation.

nedkelly
06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
im doing it on my pc right now works good

ronyville
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
It works, I installed steam on a separate partition and when I reformatted my OS partition all I had to do was reinstall steam client over the previous installation and it works fine with all my games intact. :thumbs:

davidmmac
06-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Yep it works fine. Once upon a time I had a special partition for fifa and it worked great :).

convair
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Im not talking about a partition on the hard drive that I currently have. I'm meaning is it possible to run a game off of a seperate hard drive not a partition

ronyville
06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Im not talking about a partition on the hard drive that I currently have. I'm meaning is it possible to run a game off of a seperate hard drive not a partition

Yes you can. Install the game on the separate HDD and it should run fine.

convair
06-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll have to try that when I get my new hard drive

Sweep
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Are you thinking about virtual drives or what?

Is this related to MSFlight Sim 2004 by any chance?

A hard drive has to have at least one partition in order to be able to work anyway.

If there is one physical hard drive in your computer it may contain one primary partition and an extended partition.

A primary partition has to be there in order for the computer to boot. If you want to dual boot then you need more than one primary partition.

Extended partitions may hold more than one logical drive.

For example if I had just one physical hard drive I could create one primary and one extended. Within the extended I could create several logical drives.

Let us not go into hidden partitions at this time. They are normally used for recovery which is another reason why some people get worried when they paid for a X size of hard drive and find out it is actually a different figure.

convair
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Are you thinking about virtual drives or what?

Is this related to MSFlight Sim 2004 by any chance?

1st question, not Im not talking about virtual drives. I want to install a second hard drive in my PC.
2nd qestion, yes it will before MS Flightsim 2004.