PDA

View Full Version : Accidental program deletion on XP needs SP2

Billy T
05-10-2009, 06:47 PM
No.1 son was reinstalling Windows Media Player on his laptop and due to confusing instructions. We were both confused, I was looking over his shoulder and saw something to do with checking or unchecking boxes. anyway, he threw caution to the winds and accidentally deleted a pile of Windows accessory programs and was left with WMP which wasn't working anyway. Re-installation of WMP is calling for XP SP2, which sounds odd but never mind, we have to start somewhere.

Problem is, I can't find SP2 on my Cover disks and Google was no help. I have XP Professional here if we need that later, but it looks like we need SP2 first. SP3 sounds like a good idea as well if anybody knows the cover disk for that too.

Before I go download it, does anybody know which disk had XP-SP2 on it? I can't imagine that it hasn't been published at some stage.

I wish PCW would publish an index for all their cover disks!

Any ideas welcomed.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Blam
05-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Might want to perform a system restore if you deleted some system files...

Why bother with SP2? Install SP3.

Its not too big via WU.....200mb~

Blam

B.M.
05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
The SP2 disk was a Microsoft give away a few years ago and I can send you a copy if you require.

Mates and myself run dinosaur computers and SP3 kills them, hence the usefulness of a SP2 disk.

Anyway, I've got one if you want one and am only too happy to copy and post.