PDA

View Full Version : Brands of screens

smithinator
05-10-2009, 03:25 PM
My question is when buying a monitor does brand matter because i have recently come across brands i have never heard of and i don't know if they are any good for example i found a full hd monitor by Benq 21.5" for $240 but like i said i have never heard of them, so if you could tell me some good brands to look for and ones i should steer well clear of it would be appreciated

Thanks in advance :badpc:

wratterus
05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Benq are average.

I would only buy LG or viewsonic for myself.

inphinity
05-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I would say BenQ are above average, but not top-tier, for image quality. Certainly there are screens with better image quality, but they are more than sufficient for most people, and are a very good price point. Ironically, I wouldn't touch Viewsonic, as all my experiences with them have been poor in every imaginable way.

LG and Samsung are worth a look, as are Sony, though the pricing can be.. different.

DeSade
05-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I have used viewsonic and loved it, I have HP now and again its a great monitor

Blam
05-10-2009, 03:56 PM
IMO Viewsonic, LG and Samsung are good.

BenQ are lower quality, but excellent value nonetheless..

davidmmac
05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
+1 for Viewsonic :)

Trev
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Viewsonic and Samsung. I have a Viewsonic, see my sig.
:)

smithinator
05-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the help everyone if anyone has anything to add feel free thanks again :D

utopian201
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Actually all screens are made by the same few manufacturers (Samsung, LG.Philips and AU Optronics I think). The best screens (IPS) are made by LG.Philips (they make low end screens too). They are used in the high end Dell, HP and Apple screens.

What is more important than the brand when it comes to determining image quality is the type of panel in the screen (I've posted about this before):

You can check which panel (and manufacturer) a certain screen has here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm
The main LCD panel types are:
TN: Lowest cost, worst viewing angles and colour reproduction, low image processing lag. Apparently best for fast paced gaming, worst for image editing and professsional work where colour accuracy is important. TN panels can only display 262k colours natively and use dithering to display 16.7m.

*VA (MVA, PVA, S-PVA): Middle of the road, better viewing angles and colour reproduction, typically high image processing lag (as high as 64ms!). Typically best black levels and contrast. Can display 16.7m colours but unfortunately (or fortunately if you're a design professional) most newer panels of this type are wide gamut, meaning sRGB images are oversaturated in non colour managed applications. Can suffer from slight horizontal contrast shift (like TN's vertical contrast shift, but not as obvious)

IPS (S-IPS, H-IPS): Most expensive technology, viewing angles and colour reproduction almost as good as (or even better than) that of a CRT, medium image processing (between 20-40ms). Almost all are wide gamut (which is a disadvantage, or an advantage depending on how you look at it). No contrast shift.

All panel types have similar response times so ghosting is not really a problem anymore. Although some panels use overdrive, so you get a 'negative' ghosting effect, depending on the background eg on the TN (viewsonic 22") I'm using now, there is a slight ghosting trail, which isn't noticable on my IPS screen. So in this instance, TN has worse ghosting than IPS, even though the TN has a "quicker" documented (5ms for TN, 6ms for IPS) response time.

DUNK
05-10-2009, 04:32 PM
My question is when buying a monitor does brand matter because i have recently come across brands i have never heard of and i don't know if they are any good for example i found a full hd monitor by Benq 21.5" for $240 but like i said i have never heard of them, so if you could tell me some good brands to look for and ones i should steer well clear of it would be appreciated

Thanks in advance :badpc:

I remember, some time ago. "PCTech". In a reply to someones post, said that there were very few actual "Manufacturers" of screens & that most were just rebranded. Maybe the good lady could be persuaded to repeat her advise !! :)

Sweep
05-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Whatever brand you finish up buying make sure you get a zero dead pixel warranty for as long as you can.

I have a Philips 190B which I bought some five years ago. I see no need to change at the moment.

Scouse
05-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I bought a Viewsonic about two years ago. Was about to part with money for the 19" when I realised that it had two tiny speakers built in to the section below the screen. Didn't appeal so I paid a little more and got the 20" which does not have that feature. I could use my own speakers with the 20". Could probably have by-passed the fitted speakers but........ :yuck:

Erayd
05-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Samsung panels are very good, but be aware that not all Samsung-branded screens actually contain a Samsung panel.

Paul.Cov
07-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Have had 5 out of 6 HP (with BenQ boards inside) all DIE within 4 years of being new - bad capacitors and heat issues. Luckily these were at work, and not my own.

Based on this small sample I would suggest that BenQ is filth, and I'd hesitate to purchase any HP. My preference would now be to research both the screen panel (as previous poster suggested), and the board manufacturer... although it migh seem a lot of work, and still not quarantee satisfaction.

hueybot3000
07-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Have used viewsonic in the past and now, have heard and seen good things about benq hd monitors, My first 22inch was a MAG, pretty good for the money.

And Samsung make dam nice tvs

linw
08-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, you don't find out about reliability till 3-4 years have passed. This information is then totally useless as the now current crop of panels have new electronics and could easily have boards from a different manufacturer.

The long and short of it is, you pays your money and takes your chances.

For what it is worth (practically nothing!), I have a Dell 17" going well after 4 yrs, a Benq 19" which lost a backlight after 3 1/2 years (now fixed with re-soldering and replacement of two transistors), a newish Benq 22" (bought before older one crapped out!), and a new LG 21.5" (very nice pic, BTW).

What would I buy again? Dunno, I am not good at crystal ball gazing. Probably gamble on another LG. No idea about its longevity but it does have a brilliant image! Oh, yes, good pricing as well.

utopian201
08-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Have had 5 out of 6 HP (with BenQ boards inside) all DIE within 4 years of being new - bad capacitors and heat issues. Luckily these were at work, and not my own.

Based on this small sample I would suggest that BenQ is filth, and I'd hesitate to purchase any HP. My preference would now be to research both the screen panel (as previous poster suggested), and the board manufacturer... although it migh seem a lot of work, and still not quarantee satisfaction.

I kind of agree; I just had a high end HP screen (LG panel) fail due to a bad power supply almost exactly 1 year after purchase.

However HP sent me a replacement 3 days after I called them. So for this warranty service alone, I'm happy to purchase HP, given that their high end screens are world class.

Trev
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Check out different panels here.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
:)

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
One of the DSE ones I brought a few yrs ago were crap. Its a rebranded proview. (it doesnt say this on the outside, it says it on the inside). Something connected to the power failed after 2 or so yrs. They didnt have any spare parts. So I biffed it. It took 10+ reboots to get the thing to turn on.

somebody
08-10-2009, 03:00 PM
The other question is, how much do you care? Are you doing commercial photo/video editing, graphics design/animation work or anything else which demands colour accuracy and detail? Will you want to look at the screen from any angle other than straight-on?

I have a cheap and nasty AOC monitor - it's not great, but it's satisfactory. The colours and resolution are "good enough" for what I need it for. If I have to replace it after 3 years because a capacitor blows up, I don't really care since it was cheap.

pctek
08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Huh. Utopian201 mostly has it right. The panel is what matters.

I am quite happy with Viewsonic but I agree most of them use the lame panels.
Dell have had excellent reviews for some of their screens - whoever really makes them.........
If you really want to compare - go into a shop and ask to view them going, showing the same picture - like you would do with a TV.

Then stick with the ones with a 3 yr warranty - and a good reputation..