PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Media Center?

rd400f
05-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi
I have probably got this wrong but I will try anyway.

So I have a computer that have 4G memory and a 750G hard drive.
Then I buy a TV tuner card and some cable.

Can I take the Digital TV signal from my aerial straight to the Tuner card and save the programs I want on my hard drive?
If yes how do I then output them back to my TV when I want to watch them?

Also can I take the Digital TV signal from my aerial to the Tuner card and output it straight to my TV but use the Ram to hold any "Time-Shift" memory that is needed.
Sorry for the dumb questions but you have to learn somewhere.
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Thats the point of getting a tuner. Most come with a program, so you can record whatever. Altho some programs are better than others. If you want to record from something else, you'll have to have something on your system, with some kind of video in on it (and a program)

If you want to view whatever on a TV, you can either burn whatever you've recorded to DVD. Or your videocard will have to have some kind of video out on it . I have no idea about time-shift bit. I dont use it. I dont think it has anything to do with ram tho

psycik
05-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi
I have probably got this wrong but I will try anyway.

So I have a computer that have 4G memory and a 750G hard drive.
Then I buy a TV tuner card and some cable.

Can I take the Digital TV signal from my aerial straight to the Tuner card and save the programs I want on my hard drive?
If yes how do I then output them back to my TV when I want to watch them?

Also can I take the Digital TV signal from my aerial to the Tuner card and output it straight to my TV but use the Ram to hold any "Time-Shift" memory that is needed.
Sorry for the dumb questions but you have to learn somewhere.
Thanks
Richard

You could time shift to ram....but begs the question why. Harddrives are fast enough that you can record tv1, 2, tvnz6, tvnz7 tvnz sport extra all to the same hard drive at once.

For output to a tv (especially an LCD/Plasma) a video card with an HDMI card takes away a lot of the hassle. But it helps if you're comfortable building a machine.

Depending on your area will depend on if you are going to get a dvb-s (satellite) card for Freeview or a DVB-T (Terrestrial) for Freeview|HD. The video requirements for DVB-T are quite different from DVB-S. Most pcs will comfortably be able to play DVB-S (since it's basic MPEG2 - dvd quality) video. DVB-T is h.264 with HE-AAC-LC sound, for video you need an 8500GT or above video card or 9400GT and above, or you will "kill" your cpu and it wont keep up.

linw
05-10-2009, 09:51 AM
What you seem to be looking for is info on PVR's (personal video recorders). You will need to spend a fair bit of time hunting down info but that's what google is for. Try a search on 'PVR media center' and you'll get more hits than you can shake a stick at.

Some of us have gone down this road already so know that it takes a LOT of effort to get up to speed. This effort can't be transmitted in a couple of minutes of typing.

Personally, I use software from gbpvr.com (free) and play stuff back through the TV via an ethernet cable connected to a media extender that sits under the TV. Other people choose to site the PC under the TV and output to the TV from a video card.

geekzone.co.nz is a good site for info as well.

Agent_24
05-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Usually called an HTPC (home theater PC) and there are many different softwares and operating systems for it.

GBPVR like linw mentioned is pretty nice and what I use myself, but there are many more.

rd400f
05-10-2009, 11:38 AM
"Personally, I use software from gbpvr.com (free) and play stuff back through the TV via an ethernet cable connected to a media extender that sits under the TV."

Hi
Now that sounds like more the way I would want to go.
I have run Cat5e to all the rooms in my house so maybe I should look into the Media Center/Extender side of things.
Building a standalone PC to run it all is something I would happily do.
Thanks
Richard

CYaBro
05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
"Personally, I use software from gbpvr.com (free) and play stuff back through the TV via an ethernet cable connected to a media extender that sits under the TV."

Hi
Now that sounds like more the way I would want to go.
I have run Cat5e to all the rooms in my house so maybe I should look into the Media Center/Extender side of things.
Building a standalone PC to run it all is something I would happily do.
Thanks
Richard

That's what I do at home, I have a TV server running Windows Home Server and the TVserver side of MediaPortal with two dvb-s cards. It is connected to the satellite dish and the network.
Then I use an Asus Eee Box on the main TV (these are very quiet) and two laptops as clients running the Mediaportal client.

psycik
05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
That's what I do at home, I have a TV server running Windows Home Server and the TVserver side of MediaPortal with two dvb-s cards. It is connected to the satellite dish and the network.
Then I use an Asus Eee Box on the main TV (these are very quiet) and two laptops as clients running the Mediaportal client.

I use GBPVR onthe server (hooked to the LCD TV) and a device called a popcorn hour for the bedroom. Hooks to the server (like most of the media player devices) but the difference is witht he popcorn hour you can use the same GBPVR interface in the bedroom and the lounge = WAF++++

I'm also contemplating one of the ION based devices for a low power, small devices....depends how good the video capabilities are and if they can handle our Freeview|HD