PDA

View Full Version : Faster..? HD or Ram

rd400f
05-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi
Which is faster when used to "Time Shift" Digital TV with a PCi Tuner card.

Should I buy 4G of ram and use it for a Virtual disk or just let the card use the HD.

I have heard that the Ram is quicker...as a general question...access time to memory held in the ram is how much quicker than memory held in a HD.

Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Well you'll still have to save whatever using the hdd. Otherwise once you turn the PC off, its gone. Ram is ok (to a point), but not in this case. Space is on a hd, NOT memory. Altho it can be used as memory, but it'll be slow as

linw
05-10-2009, 09:37 AM
It's a non issue if you get a tuner that uses hardware to do any encoding needed. The rest of the job of saving to the HDD is trivial.

psycik
05-10-2009, 09:53 AM
If you want timeshifting then you could use RAM...it's been talked about.

But live Preview is better (just takes stream direct from tuner to graphics card)...of course now pause/rewind from this option.

As I said in your other thread, harddrives are fast enough. If you're worried about the harddrive life you could try and play around with setting a cache drive to RAM disk, or USB key...

Agent_24
05-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Modern hard drives are fast enough, there is no need for a RAM drive.

A hardware encoding tuner card will save you on CPU time though (for Digital TV I don't think it matters as the stream is already encoded before you get it as far as I know)

Blam
05-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi
Which is faster when used to "Time Shift" Digital TV with a PCi Tuner card.

Should I buy 4G of ram and use it for a Virtual disk or just let the card use the HD.

I have heard that the Ram is quicker...as a general question...access time to memory held in the ram is how much quicker than memory held in a HD.

Thanks
Richard

RAM is obviously much quicker, but absolute overkill.

HDs are fine.