PDA

View Full Version : MB fried?

bk T
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I cleaned up (removed lots of viruses, trojan horses, etc) this PC for a friend of mine, everything was working fine after that. He took back the PC, plugged in all the cables, turned it ON but nothing happens - no beeps, no display, nothing, the fan is spinning, though.

He brought back the PC, monitor back just now, and I checked and found that I could not plug in the monitor's signal cable to the PC properly. Checked and found that pin 6 (monitor cable plug) is bent and shorted to pin 7! Replaced another cable (from another computer - known to be good) and plugged in, pressed the power switch with high hopes but still nothing happens!

Has this fried the MB? I removed everything from the MB - video card, ram, hdd, cdrom drive, etc. turned it ON and after a delay of about seconds, the beeps (short beeps) like 'crazy'. Is this a good sign?

What shall I do next?

Terry Porritt
03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Pin 6 shorted to pin 7 shouldn't have caused any problem as they are red ground and green ground.(edit: for a VGA plug)
Beeps are always a good sign :)
I'd just reinstall enough to see if it tries to boot, like video card, minimal ram and maybe hard drive.

bk T
03-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Pin 6 shorted to pin 7 shouldn't have caused any problem as they are red ground and green ground.(edit: for a VGA plug)
Beeps are always a good sign :)
I'd just reinstall enough to see if it tries to boot, like video card, minimal ram and maybe hard drive.

But no POST though

Terry Porritt
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
You will probably have to go through a process of elimination, like trying another video card, another ram stick, changing one thing at a time, leaving the HDD disconected. If there is more than one ram stick, try them each in turn.
Maybe the techs can suggest a line of approach.

Speedy Gonzales
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Is the CMOS battery in / dead?

bk T
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Here are the things that I've tried:

1. a 'good' video card;
2. a 'good' PSU;
3. Inter-changed ram sticks (2 x 256MB) & all ram slots (3 of them);
4. another RAM stick (known to-be good), tried in all 3 slots;
5. Another monitor;
6. A 'good' monitor signal cable