PDA

View Full Version : Saving Video from Capture Devices

Bussani
03-10-2009, 12:33 AM
I've been using Windows Movie Maker to capture and save video and sound from a device, saving it in the WMV format. This seems to produce a working video file just fine, but for some reason it always seems to take much longer for a player to open it than normal. Am I encoding it wrong? Is it Windows Movie Maker's fault? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for better video capture software?

Thanks for any replies.

Speedy Gonzales
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Depends on how big it is, on how long it takes to open it after. It may also depend on the specs of your system. Whats the capture device? A cam plugged into a firewire port / or a webcam with a mic or what? If it came with a program / or programs, use that.

Bussani
03-10-2009, 01:32 PM
It's a capture device that takes input from just about anything with RCA cables; TV-out, game consoles, camcorders, etc. It comes with two pieces of software of its own, but one just creates files with the same problem, and the other burns directly to a DVD or saves an ISO to be burned later.

Anyway, I found that if I save it as AVI they open fine, I just have to re-encode them with something that doesn't have a monstrous file size. It's just something about WMV files created by me, since other WMVs open with no trouble.. Strange, but oh well. Thanks for the reply, Speedy.

Blam
03-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Could possibly be a codec problem. What codec packs do you have installed?