PDA

View Full Version : Cannot save a microsoft works doc.

Blackandblue
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi I have a 256 page microsoft works document filled with writing and pitcures being a file size of about 160mb.

Now when it was about 155mb it could save the file, how ever it toke like 1 min to actually save it. When it reached 160mb it says cannot save with a message saying not enough space/harddrive space.
Though there is 4gb free and it has saved it with 1gb left.
This is a old computer and only has 512mb shared with intergrated graphics so about 250mb for programs free.
What problem is happening?

Also to add I can copy and paste any ammount of writing of text but when it comes to an image the same message comes up, not enough space and cannot save to the destination.

Is this a ram problem not enough ram to save the 160mb file? Though I get the message when I do ctrl C on a pitcure.
The file has been worked on for months and alot of images have been put on it and text has been moved around.
Is the file corrupt?

Thanks

I have tryed turning the computer off and turning it back, edited some pages for a few hours and went to go save and the message pops up. (it instantly pops up and theres no wait.)

Note there a pitcures in the form *.jpeg and from adobe photoshop. Though it has been able to save these kind of files only not upto tonight.

odyssey
03-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I've had this happen in the past (usually on earlier versions of word) and it turned out to be a corrupted image in the word doc. I've also had it happen with corrupted inserted equations using equation editor. However, if you can isolate and delete the offending image/equation then usually you can save the document. From there you can re-add your images and equations.

If it is this, then the trickiest part is determining what exactly is corrupted. The only method I can think of here is to use a process of elimination to do this - although there may be some other better methods! Simply make a copy of the doc, open the copy and delete segments of the doc (e.g. 5 or 10 pages at a time) until you can save it. Once you find which segment is offending then you might want to reinsert the segment that you deleted which was corrupt and delete in smaller chunks (e.g single page) within that segment until you isolate the offending item. Once you've figured out what item is corrupted, open up the original, and delete that item and see if you can then save your document.

Good luck!

Cato
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Edit: Never mind.

Sweep
03-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Could the original poster please tell us the Operating system being used and also the version of MSWorks?

What is the file system on the hard drive like FAT32, NTFS or whatever?

Where is the file being saved to like a USB drive or the hard drive?

I have never tried a 160 meg file in Works for myself and you may come across a 2 Gig limit or 4 Gig limit but I'm not 100% sure about what is happening to you.

Blackandblue
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
windows xp 32bit MSWorks Dunno version

NTFS

harddrive

Sweep
03-10-2009, 11:20 AM
So open MSworks. Help > about.

Should give you the version.

Windows XP Service packs? You probably should be on Service pack 3.

Blackandblue
03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
ok microsoft works 7.0

Blackandblue
03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
yes all latest windows updates - service pack 3

Blackandblue
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I've had this happen in the past (usually on earlier versions of word) and it turned out to be a corrupted image in the word doc. I've also had it happen with corrupted inserted equations using equation editor. However, if you can isolate and delete the offending image/equation then usually you can save the document. From there you can re-add your images and equations.

If it is this, then the trickiest part is determining what exactly is corrupted. The only method I can think of here is to use a process of elimination to do this - although there may be some other better methods! Simply make a copy of the doc, open the copy and delete segments of the doc (e.g. 5 or 10 pages at a time) until you can save it. Once you find which segment is offending then you might want to reinsert the segment that you deleted which was corrupt and delete in smaller chunks (e.g single page) within that segment until you isolate the offending item. Once you've figured out what item is corrupted, open up the original, and delete that item and see if you can then save your document.

Good luck!

Would this be the solution? But ever single image you cannot ctrl C and thers like 100 of them. And no images had been added between the time when it could save fine till the time when it does not save.

kahawai chaser
03-10-2009, 11:43 AM
With such a large file and embedding images in a basic word program, things are likely to become unwieldy - and more susceptible to errors/issues. First I would back up online as a precaution, e.g try Office Live Workspace (http://workspace.officelive.com/en-NZ/) or their Sky Drive (http://skydrive.live.com/) for back up.

Perhaps also back up the images individually. Including perhaps at a free photo storage site. Thus you might be able to easily assess which image is corrupted as noted above by odyssey, by downloading and embedding in a Works document. There might be free image quality/info checkers in a photo editor. You could try reducing images sizes (i.e. file size), without significant loss in quality if reducing the document's file size is important.

Another way is to put your work into a free site like Google Sites (has option not to be available on the web), or Yola, or something...

Blackandblue
03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Yea all pitcures are saved individually. So its a diffenite the problem with corrupted pictures? Cause theres 250pages and probaly like 100 images- can the images get corrupted over time? Cause it was saving fine, 2 hours went by and then it couldnt save.

Also to add some of the images have dissapeared but if you click on the white its just a white box with the black border.

Agent_24
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Why would you want to put 100 images in a document?

Probably the program just can't handle so much data - after all - it's a word processing program and not designed for that many images...

linw
05-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Why would you want to put 100 images in a document?

Probably the program just can't handle so much data - after all - it's a word processing program and not designed for that many images...

Agree. I would be sure that MS Works was not designed for this 'abuse'. It could also be a RAM problem as well. Probably was designed to hold the working doc in memory which you have too little of. I would personally never consider running with a file this big no matter what I was using.

My advice is to try splitting it into several sections. Can you cut and paste sections into separate files? This is your best (and easiest) bet IMO.

Good luck.