PDA

View Full Version : Avast found Trojan that wasn't even downloaded yet!

Billy T
01-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Had a most interesting experience this evening. I'm working away and suddenly Avast pops up a Trojan alert with all the bells, whistles and sirens! I looked for it and Avast said it couldn't find the file, but I did!

It was still on my ISP's server and hadn't been downloaded yet. Avast must have spotted it via Mailwasher and I suppose the file name (something or other.zip) attached to a spam "your laptop order is ready for delivery etc etc" email was what it flagged.

I screen all email through Mailwasher, without exception, and I'm glad I do because I pick up a lot of rubbish before it gets a chance to bother me. I've had heaps of these .zip virus attempts over the past few years, but this is the first time I've had a virus/trojan alert before I got to it.

Is this normal AV behaviour or something new?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

hueybot3000
01-10-2009, 11:49 PM
I didnt know avast was that clever, although I dont get any spam thanks to google mail.

A good antivirus will do a good job and i think thats what your seeing

Blam
01-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Yea it should do that-happens when you try to download something that may be infected etc, and cuts the connection

A good AV should do that:)

beeswax34
02-10-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I thought this was pretty normal for an AV. Go Avast :)

pctek
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
NOD does that.

linw
02-10-2009, 08:09 AM
(puts smug hat on) Like huey says, there are ways of not having to filter bad stuff at your front door! (takes smug hat off).

Billy T
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Yea it should do that-happens when you try to download something that may be infected etc, and cuts the connection.

But I wasn't downloading, it was just sitting on my ISP's server. All I had was an unopened MW notification that it was there awaiting download, which of course included the plain text of the message but nothing else.

Anyway, I'm delighted with the detection, I have had fewer than 10 alerts in 15 years on line, and no infections.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Got another of those laptop delivery messages this morning but this time no alert. I saw it while screening the messages on MW.

inphinity
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
If your AV doesn't do that, I'd look at changing.