PDA

View Full Version : Do case fans die??

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 09:22 PM
If they do, how long do they usually last?? This stereo has 2 fans on the back of it (looks like one of them is 80mm the same as a case fan). I doubt anything has blown, because everything else seems to work (the radio does anyway, it plays audio cd's ok, it does have a double tape, but I've only used it like 2-3 times in the last maybe 2-3 yrs). But I found out a few days ago, its having probs reading some of my dvds (all of them are fine). I dont know if these fans are causing it not to play some dvds or not. Since theyre not spinning (theyre meant to be cooling it down)

wainuitech
01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Yep they do - just like any other electronic component - can be working fine one minute, dead the next.

One in my old PC died about two years ago - only reason I noticed it was it was quieter then usual one morning. (rear 90mm Fan)

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Hmm ok, may chuck in a case fan. See if it spins lol. It better, just finished paying $570 or so to fix this bloody washing machine last week (the cold water valve inlet and controller were stuffed). The closest place to me is Telefix (who deal with Panasonic) are in Sandringham. Thats $40 just to take it to them, and more, depending on what they fix / replace (if anything is wrong)

Blam
01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
I think the fan bearings wear out eventually...

I'm a bit doubtful about sticking a case fan in there..:p

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 11:52 PM
It'll fit. But I took the cover off, connected a case fan to the outside of the PCB, still no go. Actually, I've never seen either of the 2 fans spinning. So, dont know if theyre meant to be spinning all the time.

Or whether they kick in, when it senses that something is getting hot or what

linw
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
They could well be temp controlled, I guess. In subbing the comp fan I suppose you checked the old ones were 12VDC? Perhaps you need to crank up the heavy metal to the max to see whether they come on with temp!!!

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2009, 07:43 AM
One's 12v 0.19A. Not much diff between the one that was in the stereo and the one I tested (0.13A)

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Ah ha, I was right. No wonder I havent seen them spinning. Email from Panasonic themselves:

You are quite correct in that the fans only come on if the electronic sensors determine it is required. Otherwise they remain off. So, thats good whew. All, I have to figure out now, is why its decided not to play some dvds.

Poppa John
02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Ah ha, I was right. No wonder I havent seen them spinning. Email from Panasonic themselves:

You are quite correct in that the fans only come on if the electronic sensors determine it is required. Otherwise they remain off. So, thats good whew. All, I have to figure out now, is why its decided not to play some dvds.

Perhaps the machine has good taste & will only play decent music ???? PJ :)

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2009, 08:27 PM
lol. Well I do have decent music dvds. ie: one of the eagle's concerts in melbourne. Not this trash / songs that some groups sing that people cant even understand

Agent_24
04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Everything breaks, obviously.

But if you want a long lasting fan, ball bearing fans will last a lot longer than sleeve bearing fans.

Unless it specifically tells you it's a ball bearing design, it probably isn't.