PDA

View Full Version : Totally Deleted Data on HDD-Is Data Recovery possible?"

gza
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
A continuation if my thread "Seagate 1TB HDD-can't partition"

As advised by our learned friends to use GParted to create partitions on the 1TB external HDD I have, I did just that, obtained GParted 0.3.4.9 and 0.4.6.1 and created 1x300GB, 1x250GB and 2x200GB Partitions, which were referred to as "Disks'.: not as partitions or Volumes.The use of the word Disk and my lack of knowledge combined to my wiping the entire 1TB HDD of all data.
How? Tell ya...
Having created the patitions using GParted 0.3.4.9, I moved data of each type into these partitions. All these were 'Primary'drives and I used Norton PartitionMagic 8 to convert them into 'Logical' drives, which then became an Extended Drive comprised of 3 Logical drives; The original HDD Drive and Letter was "Expansion Drive 'Y'. " When I created the partitions on it they were then "Y" (Active) 300GB NTFS, with Extended partition comprised of partitions H/I/J, 350GB, 200GB and 200GB respectively. All NTFS.
Later deciding that a 200GB partition was too big for some of the data files, I then used Norton PartitionMagic 8 to divide the last of the 200GB partitions into 4x50GB partitions and named them Misc1/2/3. the first 50GB had a drive Letter 'J'; Misc1/2/3 had no drive letter and did not show in 'My Computer'.....thus, I couldn't send data to them. Tried using Norton PartitionMagic 8 to give these partitions a drive letter but no would do.
Rebooted computer with GParted Live CD in optical drive and highlighted the first of the 3x50GB Misc. partions, clicked to "Create new drive letter", received a warning that "Creating a new drive letter will erase ALL data on this "Disk"...... cool, I thought, as there was no data in the 50GB Misc1partition....you guessed it...hit the enter key and in a blink of the eye I have 931.51GB of Unformatted/Unallocated Seagate External 1TB HDD.
Sigh
Tried to do an Undo last action in GParted but can't find one available. Piriform Recuva 1.29.389 doesn't see the 1TB HDD for me to attempt a data recovery: probably because the drive is Unformatted/Unallocated (?)
Worst is this: when I first got the 1TB drive I spent 16 hours loading all my media files onto it and moved files from the 'D' partition of my 80GB WD Disk and from the 30GB Slave HDD. Having done this I then formatted both the 40GB partition 'D' and the 30GB Slave HDD. Recovery of data from these 2 drives is as good as nil.
Loss of the 200+GB media files isn't a worry as I have them all stored on optical discs, it is the loss of the Program files/updates, artwork, iso's, manuals, Windows MP11 plus other Microsoft updates/progs etc...(heaps of stuff) that I had gathered over 3 years.
I'd rather not have to reload all the media files but will do if I have no other option.
As I said, its the 60GB of 'lost' files that I really want to recover, also, the 3 files that came with the HDD, " Setup Launcher.exe, Registration," and one other I don't remember what it was
I haven't reformatted the 1TB HDD, it is as I said, Unformatted and Unallocated Space.

Any ideas on this one?
Much appreciated.
As before I can't get back to this until early evening, using neighbour's com/internet. Moved house last week and the ISP I use haven't as yet come put the copper coil in the telecom box, thus, no DSL connection,yet.

Before I downloaded both versions 0.4.6.1 and 0.3, recall reading GParted has a data recovery capability, but I can't find it.

A thought in my mind is Why does formatting/change drive letter/label of a partition on either internal IDE Hard Drives not completely wipe clean the other partions on that "Disk"?...hmmmmm...

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 03:20 PM
If you were in Auckland, I could probably try something that may get it back. BUT, whatever you do, DONT use it again / dont save anything else to it. You'll have less chance of getting it back

wainuitech
01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
You may abe able to get the data back.

Download the trail version of getDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm) - install it on a working PC. It will work fully, but normally wont allow you to do a full recovery.

Remove the affected drive you want to recover the data and attach it as a slave drive to the other PC, Run GetDataBack through the drive.
being a 1TB drive this is going to take a while - Seriously - let it run overnight, as its going to take several hours.

IF it locates your data, then you have to pay for the full version. The simple question is, if this finds the data is it worth the $79 USA.

One thing DONT try anything else on the drive, any further actions will possibly cause any recoverable data to be lost.

You can try Undelete Plus (http://www.portablefreeware.com/download.php?id=1063) this is a direct download, zipped file, extract it,and will run from a USB drive, aim it at the slaved / Affected drive - but I have found GetDataBAck a lot better.

gary67
01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
There is also Recuva from the people who make Ccleaner I have used it on flash drives with some success

razzarphenix
01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Its a bit ugly and even a bit intimidating but Testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk)has worked for me at getting data back a few times (along with photorec for deleted files).

If your really serious buy an identical drive (or same capacity) and use a tool to do a sector by sector copy of the drive, to the new one, and then put the original away for safe keeping and try and recover on the new drive.

fred_fish
01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
+1 for Testdisk

Found & restored a motley collection of NTFS & FAT32 partitions on a drive that had lost them.

Writing ANYTHING to that disk will reduce your chances of recovery exponentially.

gza
01-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Its all good peeps.. I found the Recovery Tool tucked away in 'Fluxbox > File/System utils > testdisk.
After a few judicious hitting of Y/N and Enter keys I had the 'Lost Data" back in place on the External drive : )
After a bit more(ultra wary) Delete/Merge/Formats I also have the 4x50GB Logical Drives showing in GParted/ComManagement/Norton PMagic,......and I can send data to these J/K/L/M ......partitions/disks/volumes....???....I call them Partitions....hmmmm

Now, as for the ( supposedly) total 'Y' Disk wipeout bought about from my attempt to create a Disk Letter/Label for a 50GB Logical Drive nested within a 200GB Extended drive comprised of the 4x50GB Logical Drives , what would have caused that to happen??....hmmmmm... just a question because I wonder about it.
Thanks for your inputs, which I have just read.. I'll save it all.
All good.
gza (g's imatosspot)
: )

Sweep
01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Just to let you know for the future. One partition may hold more than one logical drive for example.

Scouse
01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Congratulations GZA. What an experience. I broke out in to sweats just reading and following your trail. Well done. Thanks for the detailed sharing.

Cptn Hotshot
01-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi gza
What a drama. I thought it was all going to turn to custard for you but it was pleasing to see the other offers of help and suggestions from other members.
Good to see the problem solved. :clap

gza
06-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys (and gals). Yeah it was a real drama...I'm a master at getting into them...computers are dumb, they only know what I tell them... all good.
I've got a few other new ones on the go I'm trying to sort out:
Norton Ghost 12 wont do a full system backup because it can't create a Backup Point, (hic) because the drive has an OS or Active Pagefile system operating on it (?????????)
Don't even think about it!!!!
Cheers again, bye for now.
ps> I think I mucked up by using the Norton Partition Magic to divide that 200GB 'J' Drive into the 4x50GB Logical Drives....perhaps I should have shut the com down and done the divide with GParted...hmmmm..yes, I think so.
Thats it for now
:smile:

Bryan
07-10-2009, 06:31 AM
I see Gparted is highly recommended but I use Acronis and find that it does all I need when it comes to creating, deleting, copying and generaly mucking about with HDDs and partitions.

Blam
07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
+1 For Gparted:)

rjdelete
08-10-2009, 05:52 AM
ya data recovery possible form hard drive but if you defagmanted your hdd its nt work i mean it's work bt i cant find the file that you want so if you pc is not defrgmanted you can go ahmed
for data recovery you must download data recovery tools if you want to download say me