PDA

View Full Version : Disk boot failure

whellington
01-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I have XP on my old HDD, W7 on my new HDD (seagate). I want to take my old HDD and put it on my other system. My system finds the seagate drive in the bios HD detection but won't recognise it as a bootable disk?

When i boot in Windows XP a message box appears, saying:
"Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days. Do you want to reactivate now?"
Also, my usb mouse doesn't work on XP.

When i was only using XP, i installed my Seagate and made it an extended Partition.

I have tried updating the BIOS selecting W7 as my OS. Tried clearing CMOS, tried changing SATA slots. I am trying to reformat my old drive but my mouse doesnt work when it's in XP, and i'm scared that the system might not boot up.

Help would be appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
What?? So you want to put the old hdd with XP on it, into the same case as the hdd with Win7 on it? If this is the case, then yup, the hardware thats in the case, is probably completely different, from whats in the case the XP hdd was in. And going by that pic, it'd have been activated already, since its an HP..And it probably wont activate again, since its already activated. And its expecting to see the original hardware (thats in the old case)

whellington
01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
No, i want to remove my old HDD which had XP installed on it.

My system doesnt recoginise the seagate as a bootable disk. So i have to make the old HDD the first boot drive, Seagate 2nd..

I think the issue here is when i installed the Seagate (when i only had XP) i made it an extended partition.

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 01:36 PM
No, i want to remove my old HDD which had XP installed on it.

Are both hdds SATA then?? And youre trying to format XP's hdd? You cant format XP while youre in it. What do you mean you tried updating the BIOS with Win7?? You mean you tried updating it within Win7?

If you cleared the CMOS, reconfigure the BIOS settings (change the bootdisk to the Win7 hdd) then save settings, then reboot

whellington
01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
yes they are both SATAs

I went to asus bios download site. Selected my Mobo model and OS. Updated using ASUS flash ezy 2.

I can't even format the Old HDD in W7.

If you look in my pic, the Old HDD says (system), new says (boot) - what do these mean?

I've tried what you suggest no luck

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 02:00 PM
OK so whats the brand/model of the mobo that Win7 is installed on? Or did you install Win7 on this Dell?

whellington
01-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I installed W7 on a ASUS P5Q SE2 Motherboard.

XP was installed on my old motherboard - ECS Astrope2

I installed Vista on my new HDD before W7 (still the same issue so i went to W7)

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Does the old hdd appear in computer (or whatever Win7 uses)?? If it does, can you format the old hdd here?

whellington
01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Yes it does appear in Computer

In manage i can't format
In Computer (right click'd the drive) there is a format option

So should i proceed to format

pctek
01-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Start again.
Wipe the sole drive left and reinstall Win7.

whellington
01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Start again.
Wipe the sole drive left and reinstall Win7.

I have already reinstalled W7..
Should i try again, and wipe my Old HDD too?

Edit: can't format old HDD

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 02:48 PM
So it still wont format in computer, in Win7?

whellington
01-10-2009, 02:54 PM
So it still wont format in computer, in Win7?

Nop doesnt work. I tried googling this issue and it says something about fdisk?

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
So, what does it say then when you select format? How big is the old hdd?

whellington
01-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Windows was unable to complete the format

whellington
01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Dw im buying another HDD