PDA

View Full Version : No Power to keyboard, mouse or monitor

ahd8888
01-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi, I can't understand what's happening to my PC. I opened the case of my PC and gave it a blow clean. After that, I tried to restart as normal but found it has no power to keyboard, mouse and monitor. There is power to my HDD, front LED light, fan going and beeping sound. I googled search, and some said it is PSU is playing up. But I used another PSU to power it, and problem still the same. I also used took this PSU to other PC, and it is fine. Is my mobo (GA-8IPE775-G) the culprit? Please help. Thank you in advance.

gary67
01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Are all the plugs still in nice and tight inside the case on the motherboard

inphinity
01-10-2009, 08:23 AM
You say no power to the monitor... the monitor would normally be powered directly - can you clarify this please?

ahd8888
01-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, I have check then over and over again. I am sure the power cable from PSU to motherboard, HDD and the cpu are pluged in.

ahd8888
01-10-2009, 08:27 AM
What I meant is the little light on the front of the monitor stay orange, instead of green. The Cap and Num LED on Keyboard won't light up. I have tried the PS2 keyboard and mouse, instead of USB

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
And how many beeps is it?? 1? Or more, when you say beeping sound. If its more than 1, theres a prob

ahd8888
01-10-2009, 08:37 AM
And how many beeps is it?? 1? Or more, when you say beeping sound. If its more than 1, theres a prob

Sorry, It is actually NO beeping sound. Sorry, I typed too fast.

ahd8888
01-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I guess no one can help my PC :crying

ahd8888
01-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Please...please help :crying:crying:crying

wratterus
01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Calm your farm. ;)

Sounds like one of three things.

1- Faulty Motherboard
2- Faulty/unseated RAM
3- PSU issues.

A great first step is to do this:

Unplug any unnecessary cables and PCI cards from the motherboard, eg hard drives, optical drives, front USB/firewire, modems, graphics card, that kind of thing. Just leave the power connectors and the front panel connectors plugged in. (And monitor/mouse/keyboard obviously.)

Remove the RAM and power on the PC. It should beep at you like a mad thing. If it beeps - good. Put the RAM back in and try again. If there's no beep, you're down to either the motherboard or PSU at fault. CPU failures are one in a million. Due to what you've done, I would expect it's just the RAM has become unseated and needs removing and replacing.

Are you using a graphics card or onboard video?

Try that and post back with the result.

ahd8888
01-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks, wratterus. I will try this and let u know the result. I am using video card, should I upplug the card as well? Thanks

wratterus
01-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks, wratterus. I will try this and let u know the result. I am using video card, should I upplug the card as well? Thanks

If you have onboard video yes- -for the purposes of testing it's much better to use onboard video if possible.

ahd8888
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks, wratterus. Problem fixed - I have a faulty RAM. For some reason, both stick of RAMs (256MB) give up the ghost at the same time. Thanks goodness, motherboard is OK.

Calm your farm. ;)

Sounds like one of three things.

1- Faulty Motherboard
2- Faulty/unseated RAM
3- PSU issues.

A great first step is to do this:

Unplug any unnecessary cables and PCI cards from the motherboard, eg hard drives, optical drives, front USB/firewire, modems, graphics card, that kind of thing. Just leave the power connectors and the front panel connectors plugged in. (And monitor/mouse/keyboard obviously.)

Remove the RAM and power on the PC. It should beep at you like a mad thing. If it beeps - good. Put the RAM back in and try again. If there's no beep, you're down to either the motherboard or PSU at fault. CPU failures are one in a million. Due to what you've done, I would expect it's just the RAM has become unseated and needs removing and replacing.

Are you using a graphics card or onboard video?

Try that and post back with the result.

wratterus
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Good good, are you sure they are both faulty though? Unless they've had a static shock of some sort it's pretty unusual that two would die at the same time.

ahd8888
02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, both together. I didn't even touch them when I gave the PC a blow clean. Do u have any idea how it happened, would it be the PSU provide uneven voltage, or is it overheating. Might have to get Agent Dunham, Peter and Walter (FRINGE) to crack this.

gary67
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
So you have replaced the RAM with new and it's now working? Since you said they are both dead what steps have you taken to prove they are?

ahd8888
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I didn't fix it myself. I took it to the repair shop, who told me the problem. But he couldn't explain how it happened.

wratterus
02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Would be good to know how they determined it was faulty, as both failing at the same time is unusual.

The tests should have been done with one chip in at a time if the PC does not POST at all. If the PC POSTs but then fails a RAM test such as memtest86+, the RAM is faulty. If the PC POSTs, boots and passes a RAM test then it's fine.

Both chips should have been tested individually if there was a suspicion there was a problem, and also together once the PC was booting up with both chips in. The RAM slots should have been checked visually for dust, and cleaned if any was seen.

If that lot was done, and there was still no POST or the RAM was failing tests, then new RAM was/is the way to go and the repair shop was on the money. Did you get them to put in 512MB or 1GB? :)

ahd8888
02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I might be wrong. I guess they were testing all individual part by swaping their good part and mine individually. I saw them testing my PSU and video card by swaping theirs with mine. So they probably take the 2 Ram out and put their good Ram in, then PC turn on. If 1 ram out, pc should still be able to boot, so I presume they told me right that both are not working. In the end, I bought 1G Ram which wasn't expensive. If they tried to rip me off, they could ask me to replace Motherboard.

wratterus
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
As long as you're happy with the result mate. Good one. :thumbs:

ahd8888
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
:thanks wratterus. But 1 thing I couldn't understand, why RAM can affect monitor not turning on, keyboard and mouse stop working. If I know, I could save a little bit of the labour charge of $40 - u know easy job of changing RAM ;)

As long as you're happy with the result mate. Good one. :thumbs:

gary67
02-10-2009, 04:22 PM
RAM is often one of the first things to test as it is easy to swap out compared to some components that take a bit longer