PDA

View Full Version : Switch fried?

bugalugs67
30-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Is there any way to get into my Switch to check out the settings (or if it has any) Its a DSE 5port 10/100Mbs Qos switch. Running an ADSDL+ router, 2 PCs and a printer through it. All the lights come on indicating it can see whats plugged in but it won't allow anything through it. i.e. no internet access, printing, or access from one machine to the other.

Can you get into these things and check anything out or are they Plug-N-Play and they either Go or No-Go.

whellington
30-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I have the same switch it worked fine for me. Just plug and play no configs needed

Erayd
30-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Those are 'dumb' switches, they have no config. Either it'll work, or it won't. If it's dead, it's not worth fixing - just replace it.

Note that connectivity problems aren't usually the fault of the switch - most of the time, it tends to be something else (bad addressing, misconfigured router etc).

wratterus
30-09-2009, 10:42 AM
+1 for Bletch's comments, plug a PC straight into the router, bypassing the switch and see if it works then. Easy way of finding out where the problem lies.

bugalugs67
30-09-2009, 11:12 AM
It had been working until Saturday and yes bypassing direct to the router as well as swapping cables around works. Thanks

ronyville
30-09-2009, 11:33 AM
turn it off and than back on again, see if that helps. got a few Edimax ones at work and sometimes if there is a blackout these need to be power cycled.

bugalugs67
30-09-2009, 12:36 PM
The ol switch of an' on trick. :) Thanks Yes tried that but no joy. I had thought there might be some software in there that could be configured, but if it's just a dumb switch it looks like it's down to the shop for another.

Erayd
30-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Note that DSE charges *very* high, almost extortionate prices for some pretty ordinary switches - I'd strongly recommend you shop somewhere else.

Here (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=359412)'s an example of something from an excellent retailer, with three more ports for a substantially lower price than the 5-port DSE one.

linw
30-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Is it the XH7910? I've got one of these that went crook ages ago. Nice solid metal case - pity about the insides!

razzarphenix
01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
turn it off and than back on again, see if that helps. got a few Edimax ones at work and sometimes if there is a blackout these need to be power cycled.

Edimax are legendary for that :) My favourite is when they stop new DHCP requests from working but allow other traffic to continue. So your sitting there wondering why one pc cant get an IP while the others are fine...

Agent_24
01-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Might be just dodgy capacitors or something. If you get a new one and don't want the old one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands

bugalugs67
02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Is it the XH7910? I've got one of these that went crook ages ago. Nice solid metal case - pity about the insides!

No it's an XH8258 but it looks like the XH model is consistent in its failure.:(

Erayd
02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
No it's an XH8258 but it looks like the XH model is consistent in its failure.:(XH isn't a series of switch models, it's an internal DSE product code - a *very* large number of their products (not just switches) start with XH.