PDA

View Full Version : box to choose which screen display goes to

nedkelly
30-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey I have just bought two new screens and am currently using my laptop that has only one vga port and I want to have two screens and choose which one displays the picture. My mate had a box that had two screens plugged into it and had a switch on it to choose which screen was active. Tried to ask him but he in the USA and he dont reply very often. Anyone ever heard of anything else like this in nz?

inphinity
30-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Most laptops have a hotkey to toggle the display options between built-in, external, and both.

A VGA multibox won't help you with a laptop as they require having one input & two outputs, switching between which output is active.

nedkelly
30-09-2009, 09:56 AM
thats what I want a box which I can plug two screens into and have one input and choose which screen gets to be active

Sweep
30-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Google KVM switch.

A while since I have seen one but should work.

nedkelly
30-09-2009, 10:53 AM
wrong way around sweep. Thats many pcs to one screen. I want one pc to a box which I can choose which screen it goes to.

Sweep
30-09-2009, 11:25 AM
My apologies.

Could not have had the correct switch in my brain when I posted. :illogical

inphinity
30-09-2009, 02:37 PM
This? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817404038&cm_re=vga_switch-_-17-404-038-_-Product)
Not sure where in NZ stocks 1:2 input:output switches, though I'm sure somewhere must. Any reason you can't just get a splitter and have both monitors going at once? Probably a lot easier to obtain and cheaper.

razzarphenix
01-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Why not get a usb graphics adapter (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/Other/auction-244417093.htm) and then have both screens active at once? (you can then choose in software if you want to extend to all 3 screens (your laptop, the two external) or just have one or two powered on.

nedkelly
01-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah I saw those before but I want to be able to choose the active screen. Let me explain my current setup. I have my laptop on my desktop with an external 17' screen plugged into it acting as the main screen but some times I want to watch movies on my 32' screen but dont want to keep having to change the cables around to get it to change. Just want to change a switch and hey presto it is on the other screen.

razzarphenix
01-10-2009, 11:06 AM
dont want to keep having to change the cables around to get it to change. Just want to change a switch and hey presto it is on the other screen.

Understood except depending on how they work when you change screen through rotary switch (or similar) you will then have to change resolution to suit the bigger screen perhaps? That usb graphics card allows you to leave all cords connected, and just change the active screen in windows.

You can then try fn-f8 on the laptop to see if it toggles between active screens (may not work with the usb graphics card) but if it doesn't then something like ultramon would allow you to assign "screen profiles" to hot-keys that way you can hit a certain hot key to make it disable your laptop & 17" screen and turn on the 32" screen.

nedkelly
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
my laptop seems to do it automatically

odyssey
03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Would something like this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353091) be suitable?