PDA

View Full Version : PSU Failing?

secureprivacy
30-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Every so often, when I'm doing word processing or just anything, the computer suddenly turns off - it switches itself off and you can hear it. But, the power on button is still lit (it is still green) and you can't start up your computer by pressing the on button - you have to turn off the computer at the mains, wait for the green LED to diminish then turn on the mains again - then press the start button, and everything works normally- until it strikes again.

I have noticed this ever since I added 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia 8400GS graphics card, and I overclocked my CPU to 2GHz

At the moment my computer specs:

1) Maxtron 420W PSU
2) Pentium Dual-Core E2140 1.6Ghz -overclocked to 2GHz
3) 160GB SATA HDD
4) Palit II-G31 Motherboard
5) Nvidia 8400GS
6) Phillips DVD-RAM drive
7) Alpine 7 CPU cooler

Do I need to replace my PSU or what?

secureprivacy
30-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I have attached a snapshot of SpeedFan - is the voltages at the bottom of any relevance to the PSU?

pctek
30-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Start by removing your overclock.

Then check the graphics card.

nedkelly
30-09-2009, 08:02 AM
are you using the stock cooler on your cpu?

whellington
30-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Seems like a failed overclock to me, not PSU related

420W is more than enough to run those components, a min would be 300W

secureprivacy
30-09-2009, 08:43 AM
BY the way, I removed the overclock already - it still has the problem
I removed the graphics card already- went back to integrated- there is still the problem but doesn' t happen that often.

For the voltages in the speedfan (earlier in this thread) - by the +12V- it says -16V, and other values seem different- is that relevant?

Btw, I am not using a stock cooler- I am using (a better one i hope) - Alpine Pro 7 instead.

oldguy
30-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Overclocking is like playing Russian Roulette .

rumpty
30-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I have attached a snapshot of SpeedFan - is the voltages at the bottom of any relevance to the PSU?

Those voltages look like they are all over the place in relation to what they should be. It's a wonder the computer is working at all.

secureprivacy
30-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Do you think those voltages are a sign of PSU failure- I've been using this PSU for only 2 years- maybe it is starting to degrade. What do you think?

inphinity
30-09-2009, 01:59 PM
PSU most likely, may be motherboard.

linw
30-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Can't see how your comp would go at all if those voltages were accurate. Good idea to get a couple of other programs to check voltages.

Tbird650
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Speedfan isnt known for its' accuracy with voltages. Lots of hits with Google on that subject.

It would be easy to do a memory test with memtest. That would at least eliminate the ram as cause.

For diagnostic purposes, I would run ccleaner (http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/) and on the tools>startup tab, I would disable everything there and reboot.

Agent_24
01-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Maxtron 420W PSU?

Probably some cheap junk....

But it could be overclocking/heat problem...

secureprivacy
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
One more question - if you have an ATX Case with 420W PSU ,and you wanna get a 600W PSU, do you have to change your case or something?

Agent_24
06-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Only if the new 600 Watt PSU was of a physical size that was too big to fit in the case...

But make sure you get a good brand PSU, please

Have you checked CPU temperatures though? and tried taking the OC off?

secureprivacy
06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
CPU always under 30C without overclock (11C this morning!) - took ovrclock off,problem still there, but less frequent.

Can you recommend me good PSUs? Are Hyena and Antec PSUs very good?

Agent_24
06-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Hyena are considered one of the worst and Antec one of the best.

Personally I like Enermax PSUs but there are many others such as Corsair which are very good.

I don't know what anyone else thinks but I'm not sure if there's enough information yet to point the finger at any specific part - but an overloaded or overheating PSU will shut itself off and require a power cycle to reset it, which does fit your fault description.

Paul.Cov
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Some machines will give a report on the voltages on a page in the BIOS setup... might be another way to check whether Speedfan is giving you the right data.

Might also be worth popping open the case and looking for any capacitors that have any hint of a convexity (bulge outwards) on the shiny metal cap on their top surface.
If you're bold, subject your PSU to the same examination. I've had a really busy time with bad caps lately.

Phil B
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Mine was doing something similar when running win xp. I had 6 hard drives, 1 optical, 2 pci cards, 1 video card, usb gizmo's plugged in & 2 fans all running from a 400watt P/supply. I disconnected things 1 by 1 thinking the same as you & it made no difference, the computer packed a sad alltogether & wouldn't boot, so I stuck win 7 on it, loaded it all up with the hardware again minus 1 hard drive & it's all good. It's been going for a few months now & hasn't played up yet. So with my powers of deduction I blamed XP