PDA

View Full Version : Two HDDs. Can I have two OS's?

Johnnz
29-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi all,
Just wondering whether I can boot from a slave drive or use "cable select jumper" to do so? I have two hard drives and both have different OS's on them. Can I have both of them installed in the computer and just set in Bios which one to boot from or is it not possible to do this?

Thanks!

Blam
29-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, you can!

All you have to do is set up the bootloader right on one of the OS's, then when you boot select which OS to boot to.

Johnnz
29-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Does it matter about the jumper connections? This is on a 8 (?) year old Hewlett Packard, Pentium III, running XP OS's.

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Slave / master is better. Cable select doesnt always work. Once you install more than 1 OS, you'll have the option to boot from either. So it doesnt matter what hdd is the bootdisk in the BIOS

gary67
30-09-2009, 06:41 AM
So long as the second OS was installed while the first HDD was still connected and you chose to keep the original installation and install the new OS an another partition/hdd.

If you disconnected the first HDD then put another one in to do the second installation then the bootloader wont have been written for both OS's

Johnnz
30-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Hmm, actually I took out the original HD when I installed the new os on the new HD just to make sure I wouldn't overwrite my original OS by mistake. Should still work since both OS's were loaded in the same machine/bios?

pcuser42
30-09-2009, 08:20 AM
If you connect both drives in that case, only one OS will boot (the one on the master drive), as it doesn't recognise the other one and will boot itself.

SolMiester
30-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Use BCD editor to create a dual boot loader with both drives installed.

pcuser42
30-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Use BCD editor to create a dual boot loader with both drives installed.

... if the working OS is Vista or 7. IIRC it won't edit boot.ini.