PDA

View Full Version : Link not loading

bettydnz
26-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I have a link on my desktop which has always been great, all of a sudden it and only it won't load on my main computer & laptop but will load useing Vodafone 3G stick or vodem. This is so frustrating as others in my area can connect. After a power cut two days ago it came back on line but has now dropped out again. A suggestion it could be my linksys router but would this not affect other sites?

wainuitech
26-09-2009, 11:11 AM
welcome to PF1 - can you go to the linked site manually, by typing in the address in your browser - if so, the link may simply be corrupted due to the power outage.

Try remaking the link / shortcut and see if that helps.
A suggestion it could be my linksys router but would this not affect other sites? Generally speaking thats correct, hence try the site manually, if it works manually its more than likely a damaged link, if it doesn't then something somewhere is blocking it.

bettydnz
26-09-2009, 11:21 AM
No it will not reload manually the link name comes up and then just stops. Because I can get it on 3g stick useing same link it seems to always point to router. I also use a UPs ?????

wainuitech
26-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Is the router connected to the UPS as well ?

If so then when the power went off, the router should still keep working, same as the PC, since a proper UPS will have battery backup for power outages / brownouts.

Can we assume you have turned off the router, left it a few moments then turned it back on ?

bettydnz
26-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Router is connected to PC not directly to UPS. Yes I have done all the normal checks especially turning off , disconnecting totally from power for up to an hour. Have been doing a bit of googling as my firewall shows 192.168.1.101 blocked several times does this mean anything to you please. Just clutching at straws.

wainuitech
26-09-2009, 06:29 PM
That Address if its blocked wouldn't be helping, but I would expect it to block all traffic not just one site.

What model of router do you have, it should be written on the under side of it. Knowing what the model number is will be a help.

The routers default gateway (from memory) should be 192.168.1.1

If you typed this address http;//192.168.1.1 into a browser, you should get the log in box, default user name is normally blank ( no user name) or may be admin,the password is admin.

The router will issue the address's 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254, so if any PC/Laptop connects to it and its set to automatically obtain IP address the router will give the device one in the range.

IF your firewall is blocking an address that may cause problems - Dont know what firewall you're using but this is what you need to do - open the firewall, go to its LAN / Network settings - set the range to allow 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 through.

What firewall are you using please.

What OS do you have ?

bettydnz
26-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Wireless G ADSL Home Gateway Linksys Model WAG200G
Firewall Zonealarm Pro
Win XP home service pack 3 desk computer
Win XP Pro Laptop
Couldn't find Lan/ etc for firewall
The fact it is only blocking this site but that I can load it useing 3G stick is a puzzle, over the last two weeks it has appear only to be lost again on both computers. Also infuriating that people near me can receive it.

wainuitech
26-09-2009, 08:15 PM
By any chance do you have access to another laptop that can be plugged into your router, that does work elsewhere - this is to test if its the router or the PC's causing the problems.

See if you can ping the site ( some sites will respond some wont) In Xp click start, click Run, in teh box that opens type in cmd <press Enter> at the command prompt type in ping yoursiteaddress <press enter> if it is answering you will get a reply.

This is the result if it doesn't work here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/timed_out.jpg) - I made sure PC world wont respond - killed the connection, normally it would respond.Example of Working / reply (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Worked.jpg).

bettydnz
26-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Keeps responding could not find.

Safari
26-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Keeps responding could not find.

It has to be the router if the computer works and the site loads when using
the Vodafone vodem
Try this as wainuitech said previously
If you typed this address 192.168.1.1 into a browser, you should get the log in box, default user name is normally blank ( no user name) or may be admin,the password is admin.

Click on "Basic Settings" Find the "optional settings" about half way down the page. - Change the "MTU" dropdown from automatic to manual - Change the number to 1492
Save settings and reboot router

bettydnz
26-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Safari you are brilliant, thank you I was starting to pull my hair out. I had worked it out in my head that it just had to be the router but didn't know what to do about it. Cheers

wainuitech
26-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Good that its fixed, but its very odd that it only blocked one web site, normally that setting would affect every site.

Safari
27-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Good that its fixed, but its very odd that it only blocked one web site, normally that setting would affect every site.

It would not have been blocking just the one site, there would have been others that would not load as well. But most sites would load normally and it is unusual for all sites to be effected by MTU settings unless they are way off the norm.

Most modems have a default setting of MTU 1500 and this works fine for most ISPs and modems but some especially the D-Link need a setting of 1492 if some websites load and others do not.
Ideally MRU and MTU should both be set to the same number.

It is a reasonably common problem and I have even seen where changing the MTU can fix problems where an email client is unable to send emails but receives ok even though all settings are correct in the mail client.

Cicero had a similar problem recently where a particular website would not load.

http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=103424&page=3

wainuitech
27-09-2009, 09:56 AM
To be honest, I have never come across it where that setting blocks only some sites but lets others through.
Usually the problems I have come across is everything, or Nothing works.

Good to know though.

bettydnz
27-09-2009, 10:46 AM
My thoughts exactly wainuitech thats why I couldn't get my head around the fact that it was my router, but by the same token it always came back to that because of been able to use my 3G stick & modem without a problem.

A big thanks to you also for trying all yesterday to find problem.
I'm glad I found this site as up to now I have been using another worldwide site Techguys who are also somewhat helpful at times.

R2x1
27-09-2009, 10:49 AM
And with that, Safari hit 2K posts.

Safari
27-09-2009, 11:13 AM
And with that, Safari hit 2K posts.

Post times are also showing pre daylight saving time as well.

Well at least most other things on the forum seem to be working.