PDA

View Full Version : XP Home Shutting Down

Mac D
26-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi to all F1 ers. I need your help to find the cause of a problem on a fiends PC.
OS is XP Home with all updates and has not had any recent installs.
The problem: For no reason the PC will go into Sleep Mode, shut down. When trying to reboot, the PC tries to restart but within a few second, once again goes into Sleep Mode and shuts down.

The only remedy is to leave the power off to the computer for 20 to 30 mins this allow the PC to boot up as per normal and is OK until next time. This has no particular pattern to how often it will occur but eventually it does.

I have tried to use Safe Mode after it has shut in Sleep Mode but even when safe made is trying to setup, once again it shuts down. Leaving the power off seems to be the only remedy for now.

Your help would be appreciated.
Mac.

wainuitech
26-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Sleep mode in XP often causes trouble like you described.

Try this first - Right click on the desktop and click "Properties". Then go up to the "Screen Saver" Tab, Then click on the "power button", Set all the boxes on never.

This will stop sleep mode from working. Usually with the amount of trouble sleep mode can sometimes give its easier to turn off the PC at the end of the day, or just leave it running. If the light from the monitor is not welcome ( in a bedroom) turn off the monitor.

Mac D
26-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks wainuitech, I'll keep an eye on it.
Mac.

Trev
26-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Sleep mode in XP often causes trouble like you described.

Try this first - Right click on the desktop and click "Properties". Then go up to the "Screen Saver" Tab, Then click on the "power button", Set all the boxes on never.

I learn't to do that from the days of Win 98. Looks like MS haven't fixed the problem yet.
:)