PDA

View Full Version : NTLDR is missing

curly
25-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Trying to install Windows 2000 on a newly reformatted HDD, but no matter what I do, I get the message NTLDR is missing. This is after being asked to hit any key to boot from the CDROM drive.

The CD is legit and I have the serial key thingy now attached to the case.

What can I try, or do now ?

wainuitech
25-09-2009, 08:48 PM
So the Drive is Blank - and it wont install correctly from the CD ?

Could be a faulty CD.

curly
25-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes it could be a faulty CD, but as it is my second copy of 2000 ( thought I had lost my first copy), I somehow doubt that two separate copies would be faulty.

Thought it might be a faulty CD drive, but it is detected during boot !

But thanks for the suggestion.

jwil1
25-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Sounds like the CD drive is on the way out.

curly
25-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah, considered that possibility after both CD's failed to load the operating system. I have an external USB CD/DVD drive , so will try it tomorrow.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I see U live in Whellington, typo I suppose, but maybe you want to follow Whanganui's proposed name change :-)

jwil1
25-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I see U live in Whellington, typo I suppose, but maybe you want to follow Whanganui's proposed name change :-)

Nah, not a typo, just mocking the Wanganui name change - as are some other PF1 members ;)

Phil B
25-09-2009, 10:52 PM
How did you format the drive. Was it from a disc in the dvd drive? Presumably the HD is connected directly to the motherboard & not through a PCI card. I get the NTLDR message when the bios is pointing to a non bootable drive. Try removing the CMOS battery & switch off the mains for a minute or so. Reconfigure BIOS boot order & make sure HD is detected & try again. Thats fixed many a glitch for me

zqwerty
25-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Yep whenever this has happened to me the computer is trying to boot from some other drive ie, floppy, usb drive or whatever instead of the correct HDD.

feersumendjinn
26-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Reboot, go into your BIOS (del(ete) key usually, will tell you on first boot screen (may say F?= setup (or similar))), and check your boot order, make sure your CD/DVD drive is first in the list; if using your USB drive select that instead (if your motherboard is capable of booting from USB) as first boot device. It sounds as if it's trying to boot from the wrong drive (HDD?) or from an incomplete or corrupt disk. If still not working (from the CD), would suspect CD or CD drive defective.

curly
26-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Well went to Tricky Dicky first thing this morning and purchased an LG GH22 DVD rewriter, which also does CD's.

But it made no difference and by the way just what does NTLDR mean anyway ?
And what does it do ?

Ok... took out the brand new motherboard battery and switched of the power for around 5 minutes. But that did nothing either.

Gonna look around here, as somewhere I have a brand new - never used, 250 Gig HDD . I know its been formatted as I had to take it back to have it done. Just as a double check, can I reformat the 250 gig using a Vista computer ?

Just to make sure the formatting of it is OK.

Oh yeah, its come back to me - they used Swiss Knife (?) to do it !

Will reply to other posts, once I send this, as I dont want to have to retype this !!!

curly
26-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Reboot, go into your BIOS (del(ete) key usually, will tell you on first boot screen (may say F?= setup (or similar))), and check your boot order, make sure your CD/DVD drive is first in the list; if using your USB drive select that instead (if your motherboard is capable of booting from USB) as first boot device. It sounds as if it's trying to boot from the wrong drive (HDD?) or from an incomplete or corrupt disk. If still not working (from the CD), would suspect CD or CD drive defective.

Been there done that ! The first boot device is most certainly the DVD, with the only other drive set as the second. Oh and I'm not using cable select.

But thanks - appreciated.

KarameaDave
26-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Have you read this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

It includes instructions for making a boot floppy with NTLDR NTdetect.com and boot.ini
This may help.
NTLDR is the kernel(NT)loader by the way.

Phil B
26-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Try installing a linux distro. Doesn't matter which one. Linux installs on anything. If it still won't, then you may have a faulty motherboard. The exact same problem happened to me about 3 weeks ago. It was the motherboard. Everything appeared normal in the BIOS, everything was detected, boot order was ok, I changed hd's, changed cmos battery, changed ram, changed video card, changed power supplys & it all made no difference (lucky I didn't have to go & buy that lot)
Before you condemn, remove the ram & video card, clean the contacts & refit. Try to install the os.

curly
26-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Have you read this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

It includes instructions for making a boot floppy with NTLDR NTdetect.com and boot.ini
This may help.
NTLDR is the kernel(NT)loader by the way.

Think I must have offended the computer gods somehow and now they are getting back!

The computer has no facility for a Floppy !! See wot I mean.

curly
26-09-2009, 01:56 PM
This may be a silly question. I have another desktop running an AMD motherboard, just as this difficult bugger is, both boards use an XP processor, so the point I am making is that they are quite similar.

Could I use the going desktop to install either 2000 or XP onto the HDD that is going into the troublesome computer and be laughing all the way to the bank ?

curly
26-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Try installing a linux distro. Doesn't matter which one. Linux installs on anything. If it still won't, then you may have a faulty motherboard. The exact same problem happened to me about 3 weeks ago. It was the motherboard. Everything appeared normal in the BIOS, everything was detected, boot order was ok, I changed hd's, changed cmos battery, changed ram, changed video card, changed power supplys & it all made no difference (lucky I didn't have to go & buy that lot)
Before you condemn, remove the ram & video card, clean the contacts & refit. Try to install the os.

Might have to wait for awhile or at least till I can get my hands on a "Linux Distro", but will do it, as the going gets tougher. Thanks.

feersumendjinn
26-09-2009, 02:56 PM
This may be a silly question. I have another desktop running an AMD motherboard, just as this difficult bugger is, both boards use an XP processor, so the point I am making is that they are quite similar.

Could I use the going desktop to install either 2000 or XP onto the HDD that is going into the troublesome computer and be laughing all the way to the bank ?
You could try, the CPUs may be similar but the likelihood of the motherboards/chipsets being the same is low, the OS installation will match itself to the mobo chipset on the first computer, and probably crash on the 2nd one.

You can get a Linux distribution disk from any current computer magazine, download it (Puppy Linux (http://www.puppylinux.org/) is quite a small download), or buy it from, say, DSE (these (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/catalog/CTG0002397) aren't the latest, Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) up to 9.04 now).

KarameaDave
26-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I would try your suggestion of installing on another machine
and transferring it then (not much to lose if unsuccessful)
What area do you live?
I could post a copy of Puppy Linux to you if you want to try it.

curly
28-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Trying to install Windows 2000 on a newly reformatted HDD, but no matter what I do, I get the message NTLDR is missing. This is after being asked to hit any key to boot from the CDROM drive.

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but need to ask some more questions.

Well to whoever suggested loading ubuntu, thanks. It worked very well and it was version 6.06 LTS dated 2006. Don't know anything about Ubuntu but quite impressed with this old version. Eventually will try a much later version.

So to my mind that confirmed the BIOS was working and that the new DVD was working. It also confirmed that the workings of the computer were probably OK too.

Took out the Ubuntu disk and rebooted with the Win 2000 disk, but received the message "We are sorry you are having these problems", my words, followed by "Press any key to boot from the CD".

But nothing happened, though it seems that "NTLDR is missing" has been solved. (Don't know how)

Am I looking at a failed Win 2000 setup disk or am I still looking at a further problem to solve.

As always - Any and all help/suggestions gladly received

curly
28-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Opps forgot to ask. The HDD now has Ubuntu on it. Should I have reformatted it prior to trying to load Windows ?

curly
28-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Rats Ar..e, turns out it was a live Ubuntu CD, it did not install at all.

Now on boot I have "GRUB loading stage 1.5", "GRUB loading, please wait", "Error 18",
"Blinking cursor", but nothing happens.

OK, time for the big hammer. How in Ubuntu can I reformat the attached HDD ?
I have looked around, but dont see how to do it. I have since found another Ubuntu disk which contains version 7.10, CD dated 2008.

This is fast getting a real problem and well past my expertise !

KarameaDave
28-09-2009, 07:54 PM
You poor devil, you are really having problems with this.
Here is a thread on ubuntu forums dealing with error 18.
Changing from LBA to normal in BIOS seems to have resolved this for
a number of these folk. Maybe you could try that?
Good Luck

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=11764

Phil B
29-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Just a thought. Try copying the disc & try to install from that. I know with audio cd's that they sometimes don't work in a car stereo. Copy them, copy protection too & they work. Might be worth a go

curly
29-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Well I must offer my greatful thanks to all who replied and helped to steer me onto a logical path.

The problem is now solved.

The two HDD's I tried were both detected in BIOS and their respective sizes were correctly identified. But it turns out that despite the HDD being detected, they were actually faulty in that neither were bootable and therefore when I tried to load the op system, they tossed up various error messages. These messages lead me down various paths but all ended with nothing happening.

Needless to say both have been consigned as scrap aluminium.

I would be interested to hear what may have possibly caused the problem in the first place.

Again my sincere thanks.

Sweep
29-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I very much doubt that both hard disk drives could not be made bootable.

Perhaps you could donate both to a worthy cause.

Pleased the problem is sorted.

curly
29-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I very much doubt that both hard disk drives could not be made bootable.

Perhaps you could donate both to a worthy cause.

Pleased the problem is sorted.

Thanks, Yeah EWaste is going to get them and good riddence(?) too !