PDA

View Full Version : Can't get movie file to play using Powerpoint 2003

czarflys
25-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a movie file that will play using Windows Media Player Ver 9, though it initially reports a codec error but I cannot get the file to play in a Powerpoint 2003 presentation. I tried the following:
1. Insert the clip direct - Insert/Movies and Sounds/Movie from file /xxx.mpg
and
2. Insert using Movie Action button accessed from: Slide Show/Action Buttons/Movie button/Action Settings box/Mouse click tab/Select Run Program/Browse to location of mpg file/Select All files option in Select A Program to Run dialogue box/Select xxx.mpg/Click Ok

In carrying out the procedure in (2) while the option to select All Files was available in the Files of Type field in the Select A Program to Run dialogue box, when I clicked on the mpg file name it did not appear in the File Name field.

There are two files I need to play, 35 and 87 Mb respectively

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

czarflys
25-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I forgot to include this information. The mpg files were created using a Sony Handycam DCR-SR82E. The files were downloaded to my PC using a Sony supplied utility. In Windows Explorer each mpg file is accompanied by a MODD file. I understand this is a file type created by Sony and I believe acts only as a reference file and is not required to enable the file to be played back.

paulw
25-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I have had the same problem in the past . It's a video hardware acceleration issue that seem to plague PowerPoint. If you go into your video card setting and back off this feature if you can may solve the problem also do a Google search and you will find lots of info on this problem..