PDA

View Full Version : Routers for business

gary67
24-09-2009, 08:46 PM
:help: As part of my studies I have to write an RFP for a business setting itself up for web access, web site and hosting. I have found a fair bit about hosting but have absolutely no idea what sort of router a business would be using for 3 branches and servers etc, can someone point me in the right direction please. :thanks

somebody
24-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Is it just web access they (the hypothetical business) needs, or do they also need to connect the 3 branches together securely, handle VoIP, or anything like that?

You might be able to find some whitepapers on the Telecom or Gen-I websites, as they (used to - don't know if they still do) sell/rent Mako routers to SMEs. As these routers are quite expensive, they probably prepared some solid business cases to help with marketing.

gary67
25-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Well I am assuming some sort of VPN and possibly Voip although nothing is mentioned for that but the course notes need serious updating. I had forgotten about Gen-I thanks for that tip will have a look tonight

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Two devices:
1) Linksys AM300
2) Linksys WRT54GL

Pickup both from PBTech for ~$200 in total

Upgrade the AM300 to 1.19.04 firmware (Fixes issues in Half-bridge)
Upgrade the WRT54GL to Tomato 1.25

It's *the best* small-business device for QoS, as well as a host of other features!! I'm actually at a business site right now installing just that :)

For Web-access, make sure you propose ADSL2+ if available in their area.

For Web Hosting, they could either go with a small VPS from the likes of SiteHost, or even just a standard website account with their ISP?

gary67
25-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Somebody and Chill I have somewhere to start now, guess what I will be doing all weekend :thanks