PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Internet has slowed down

Brian
24-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi ya everyone!

I was wondering if someone can give me some ideas on how I can investigate the following.

About a week ago my internet slowed down (I haven't used my monthly data usage, so that isn't the culprit).

I rang Telecom last night and spent half an hour with them trying to diagnose the cause. They suggested that I clean the jackpoint (which I did) and also get a change the filter on the phone line (which I explained to the guy at Telecom wasn't necessary (maybe it is?) as the jackpoint is a dedicated line for broadband).

The modem that I have is a D-Link DSL-502T. The speed I was getting before I did the above was about 83kbps, it's increased to 150kbps. (But I feel that that is still slower than a week ago)

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as how I can increase the speed (apart from moving closer to a Telecom Broadband hub!). Thanks for any advice and help!

TIA,
Brian :)

hueybot3000
24-09-2009, 07:58 PM
what plan are you on? what speeds should you be gettin

Brian
24-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm on the 20Gb plan.

I'm not sure of the exact speed I should be getting. The guy from telecom reckons I should be getting around 2000kbps.

Sting Ray
24-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Try using another computer and see if the speeds slow on that. And are you using any P2P file sharing?

Blam
24-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Ask for a new modem. That modem is old..

sroby
25-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the wackly world of Telecom internet speeds
Is you DSL a Business Plan or home broadband plan??

IPS's will usually not admit to slow internet speeds being caused at their end
through overloading & throttling(where they slow your internet THROUGHPUT)
-does the speed pickup/slowdown at certain times, whats the speed like at (say) saturday 10am
-how are you measuring internet speed?? Try a large download, if the 1st 1Mb comes down fast then gets slower after that, you may be being throttled
- see if you router will display the DSL: s/n(noise), dropouts, timeouts, disconnects etc
-heavy rain can sometimes cause internet isssues due to poor local phone lines

-my internet slows down after 3pm, around 7pm its really slow.Weekend mornings its 5x faster. Occasionally (rarely) its just fast all day.

FoxyMX
25-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Try another modem.

Brian
25-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Rang Telecom, to try and get another modem, but it doesn't sound promising. :-( They offered to send out a technician which would cost $81.

I told them to forget about it...:-(

Brian
25-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I just got a ring back from Telecom. :)

They said that there is definately a problem. It's got to do with the DSLAM. So I got ring them back tomorrow to find out what they're gonna do to fix it.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all your replies, it's really appreciated!

Thanx,
Brian :-)

whellington
25-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Rang Telecom, to try and get another modem, but it doesn't sound promising. :-( They offered to send out a technician which would cost $81.

I told them to forget about it...:-(

Tell them its not working, they'll send you a new one, but you have to send in your old one. I did that :p

Brian
27-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi everyone!

Telecom is sending me out a new modem. :clap My one's stuffed, so I've borrowed one from my brother til it arrives.

Thanks for all your help and advice, it's really appreciated!

Thanx,
Brian :)

oldguy
30-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Ask for a new modem. That modem is old..

I have that model. Goes well, no problems with it.
:clap

inphinity
30-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I have that model. Goes well, no problems with it.
:clap

Until your DSLAM gets upgraded a few times and eventually all the outdated standards your modem supports are deprecated :P