PDA

View Full Version : External USB Hardrive Reading Issues

Groovvy
24-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi all. I currently have 2 desktop PC's running windows XP sp3. Also i have 1 PCI-USB 2.0 card in each of the 2 PC's. I know one of the PCI-USB cards have the NEC chip in them. not sure about the other one.

I have currently borrowed my friend's external USB powered hardrive (new imation 500gb).

I had plugged into one of the computers and it recognized it and copied files and all.

But when i tried the same USB hard drive in another PC, it does not recognize at all.

I have tried to go into the disk management under storage and cant see the usb hard drive there.

I have tried a 2gb USB stick in both computers and it works fine all the time.

Its only this external USB is not recognized.

What could be the problem?
Thanks.

pctek
24-09-2009, 07:37 PM
File system?

gary67
24-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Is it receiving enough power through the USB bus?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Or it maybe the PSU - not good enough, or youre using a hub?? Or youre not using power for the external hdd?

Groovvy
25-09-2009, 06:44 AM
File system?

What u mean by the file system? Fat32, NTFS.
My both PC are almost exactly the same file system. And it can read in other computer with no problem.

Groovvy
25-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Is it receiving enough power through the USB bus?

I guess so. Because it starts up and i can see all the light going on. And its PCI-USB card, so it should provide enough power isnt?

Groovvy
25-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Or it maybe the PSU - not good enough, or youre using a hub?? Or youre not using power for the external hdd?

PSU. Then i dont know.
I have tried to plug into a new ADSL Router which supports external USB hard drives as NAS. And the router read the 2gb usb stick fine but couldnt read the 500gb hard drive again.

And its USB powered HDD and no hub.

Thanks.

gary67
25-09-2009, 07:44 AM
So the computer it doesn't work on has no built in USB ports only the Pci usb's is that correct? Then I think it's just not getting enough power to read the drive evdn though it spins, I have had similar plugging them into front of case USB ports

Groovvy
25-09-2009, 08:59 AM
So the computer it doesn't work on has no built in USB ports only the Pci usb's is that correct? Then I think it's just not getting enough power to read the drive evdn though it spins, I have had similar plugging them into front of case USB ports

Thanks. I actually have 2 USB 1.0 ports at the back of the computer.
I have tried to plug in there too and it doesnt work.
So is it still the power issue?

Also i have some spare power supply unit and i think its more powerful than the one i have.

Would the USB drive work if i get a better power supply?
I just want to make sure that its not the USB hard drive.

Because im planning to get a 1TB MAINS powered external harddrive soon and I want to be able to use it via USB.
So i was thinking of getting this external hardrive. Would this work?

http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Hard+Drives/External+Hard+Drives/VANTEC+NexStar+CX+1TB+3.5%22+Black+USB2.0+eSATA+Ex ternal+Hard+Drive+-+Retail.html?osCsid=tta9bt3i5e7pcglm0nhvk6al55

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Get a mobo that supports USB 2.. Thats probably the main prob, youre using USB 1.1

Groovvy
25-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Get a mobo that supports USB 2.. Thats probably the main prob, youre using USB 1.1

Hi Speedy. I dont think that should matter much. as i have the PCI-USB 2.0 card which should support USB2.0 drives. Which actually in the other computer with similar situation works fine.

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I found that even PCI cards dont work properly sometimes. Even tho this mobo supports USB 2 (the PCI card I use is a firewire one, but its got 3 USB 2 ports), the USB 2 ports dont always work with every USB device either

Groovvy
25-09-2009, 11:06 AM
I found that even PCI cards dont work properly sometimes. Even tho this mobo supports USB 2 (the PCI card I use is a firewire one, but its got 3 USB 2 ports), the USB 2 ports dont always work with every USB device either

Thanks speedy. But tats pretty **** aint it. USB2.0 not working with the USB devices, which is actually designed for them.

Umm.... So is it the USB drives interface issue or computer's USB port issue?
Just trying to figure it out thats all.

So anyway, if i buy the below harddrive, is it going to work on my computer via PCI-USB 2.0 card? Or not?

http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Hard+Drives/External+Hard+Drives/VANTEC+NexStar+CX+1TB+3.5%22+Black+USB2.0+eSATA+Ex ternal+Hard+Drive+-+Retail.html

Thanks.