PDA

View Full Version : Firewall configuration to allow XBOX 360 media extender to wake Windows 7

pickledhamster
24-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a Windows 7 computer which I use as a Windows Media Center. I am using an XBOX 360 as a Windows Media Extender.

When I use Windows built-in firewall, it will automatically configure all firewall rules required to allow the communication between the two to work.

I am wishing to use my third-party software firewall (Eset Smart Security) on my Windows Media Center computer. I have followed all instructions from the Microsoft support site to manually configure appropriate rules. All expected functions are now working as intended.

However, the documentation I have found on the Microsoft site does not explain the process of creating firewall rules to allow the Wake on Lan (I believe this is what im looking for) feature to function on the Windows Media Center. This is to allow the Windows Media Extender to wake the Windows Media Center PC from a standby state when the extender is turned on.

Does anyone know how to correctly configure Eset Smart Security to achieve this? Disabling Eset Smart Security, or using the Windows 7 firewall exclusively allows the XBOX 360 to wake my Windows Media Center from a standby state. Alternatively, more information about how the XBOX wakes up a Media Center PC (ports and protocols used) would be great!

I have so far configured Eset to allow though a number of ports apparently used for WoL, as well as allowing all TCP and UDP traffic to the media center in testing. still not working.

CYaBro
24-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Is the WOL feature enabled in the BIOS on the W7 PC?

pickledhamster
25-09-2009, 02:59 PM
It sure is. The XBOX 360 can wake the Windows Media Center when all software firewalls are disabled, or the windows firewall is used exclusively.

The problem relates to when the Eset Smart Security Firewall is enabled. I don't know whats ports and protocols I need to allow through for the XBOX 360 to wake up my media center successfully.

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2009, 03:08 PM
That's because presumably your PC is turned *off* or in a Standby mode when the "magic packets" are sent. The firewall doesn't even come into the picture.

Are you certain that the Xbox 360 can send the "WOL magic packet"?

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
http://magicpacket.free.fr/

pickledhamster
25-09-2009, 03:28 PM
When I use the Windows Firewall, or no firewall at all, I can place the Windows Media Center into standby mode.

From an off state I turn on the XBOX 360 and it can successfully wake the Windows Media Center PC. I've selected the option on the Windows 7 machine to only wake when it receives a magic packet. This works successfully, until I enable the Eset Smart security firewall.

After enabling the Eset firewall, then placing the machine in Standby and repeating the test, the XBOX is unable to wake the PC.

Also, i'm only assuming that the XBOX 360 uses a WoL magic packet to wake the PC. It sounded reasonable that this would be how it would do it.

fred_fish
25-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Sounds like ESET must be changing the driver settings on the netcard.
As stated previously, there is no firewall when the PC is "off".

pickledhamster
25-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Fred, that definitely sounds like something I could investigate with Eset. I have not found any configurable option to change it's behaviour if it is doing this.

Just to clarify, the Windows Media Center PC is needed to wake only from a standby state. I'm not expecting it to wake from being completely off.

pickledhamster
25-09-2009, 03:49 PM
here is something else I found. Could apply to Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932633